cars for old men

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
My theory on people who buy expensive old cars, is that they buy the car that they had on a poster stuck to their bedroom wall when they were 14.

It's very noticeable that this "collectors" sale has E-types, 911s, Mercs and Maseratis from the 1960s and 1970s.

By my calculation the buyers will be coming to the end of their working life, with money and time, and looking for something to spend them on.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/news-vid...2017.luxury-cars-perfect-for-new-collectors/1

Sponsored Links
Not an aunreasonable assumption

As my name suggests, I like old Triumph Motorbikes.
On forums, there is always discussion about the "best" model

I learned on a tiger cub so have 2 of them
I aspired to a T140 boneville and bought one in my 20's
I do like a few older Meriden Triumphs

I don't hanker after prewar stuff
I don't like modern triumphs

The various guys on the forums are slowly realising that younger riders hanker after 70's jap bikes or later, loads of young car drivers see a 20th century golf as very retro

The best triumph ever is the 675 daytona. It really is a fantastic little racer. I do appreciate that isn't an old triumph.

I think people buy old cars because they go up in value

Depends..... old cars went up massively and became "investments" but then crashed.
Lots of car/bike "investors" got seriously burned

Most owners of classics that actually drive them don't worry too much about value.
It is generally accepted that you always spend more on a vehicle than you'd get back if selling.
Unless you're talking to the wife/girlfriend ...

Sponsored Links
Triumphs :)

had 3 X meridan T140's

2 X Tritons one had a 650 thunderbird in it & the other.

Had a T110 with a Morgo conversion.

had a plan to stroke a T140 (started it) into a 850 with a NRE (dave nourish) 8 valve top end. spoke to a bloke who was a fairly succesfull twins racer
he had 950 8 valve top end on a unit triumph bottom end. The RGB Weslake , ridden by a fella called Mike Hose.

gear box was fragile due to the increased power 100 bhp he reckoned ???

my T140 is a half race AngloBike with an exhaust that would make Lucifer crap himself.
I use Rockerbox in Wrecclesham for odds and sods. Like going back in time.

http://www.rockerbox.co.uk/home.htm

Rocker box ;) have not been in there for years , last visit I bought a 1971 Norton 750 SS commando still got it

rocker box did the 5 speed conversion on the above triumph gear box fitted to the above bike for me

yep recall them.

Also recall the Hyde harrier frame kit, visited there premises ounce with ref to a frame kit for a T140,on the way back from dave norishs (NRE) premises

Others I dealt with were Dave Degens ,who built and tuned the engine in my pic . He was part (I think) of the design team who were responsible for

the ultimate (??) front drum brake .The 8LS cma brake . scary . the brake from hell :)

bought one at the earls court M/C show paid £40 for it

yep recall them.

Also recall the Hyde harrier frame kit, visited there premises ounce with ref to a frame kit for a T140,on the way back from dave norishs (NRE) premises

Others I dealt with were Dave Degens ,who built and tuned the engine in my pic . He was part (I think) of the design team who were responsible for

the ultimate (??) front drum brake .The 8LS cma brake . scary . the brake from hell :)

bought one at the earls court M/C show paid £40 for it

I was chatting to Dave Degens at Kempton park maybe 6 months ago

he use to be up near heathrow air port when I had dealings with him, moved to Sussex afaik ?

when I was in the Classic racing M/c club he raced a 500 daytona with an 8 valve top end ( if I recall correctly)

Is he still building his Dresda Tritons ???

been trying to recall the blokes at Rocker box ??? Daryl ?? and Arthur ??? if I recall ???

Dave d seems to have a deal going with chris knight selling cafe racer bits, he still has a website for dresda
Dunno if you ever go to Kempton park but they tend to set up not far from the catering wagons near the main stand with their back to the road

Yes that's the Rockerbox guys !

Sponsored Links
Back