Cast iron bath re-glaze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cast iron bath that was re-surfaced about 7 years ago but the material was very brittle and didn't take much to chip. The bath needs re-doing but I am reluctant to spend money again for something that possibly won't last.
Should a bath that is re-surfaced in situ be more resilient or are they all much more fragile than the original glazed version. If so, does anyone know where I could possibly get the bath re-glazed in a factory - I live in kent.

Sponsored Links
You can take bath out and get it stripped, re enamel and glazed but would probably easier to fit a new one as you would have the old one out anyway. Probably cheaper too for new one.

You would never get a coating like original enamelling from a home re-surface service. Which is basically an enamel paint resurface job.
The original would have been to bare metal and then coated with vitreous enamel and then cooked in a kiln, this would have been done done several times to get the thickness and finish of the coating correct.
To have this done properly costs a fortune but will last a long time.
I found this company for a customer of mine a year ago, never found out if she used them or not -
http://www.ues-ltd.co.uk/index.html

Sponsored Links
I also have a cast iron bath that I'd like re-enamelled - and I don't mean an epoxy paint job. I want the old bath sandblasted to remove old enamel, repairs made to the bath if necessary then new coats of vitreous enamel applied and baked on.

I've spent an hour 'googling' for a factory that would do the job and only unearthed two companies that offer this service, one in Somerset the other in Lancashire - not exactly convenient for me in Kent. I can't believe how difficult it is to find these places and I'm begining to think that maybe I've found the only two in England!

I'd really appreciate help. Can anyone tell me of other factories, hopefully nearer to Kent, that would offer a complete re-enamelling service? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back