Cast iron boiler repair or replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Mexico RS80 which is not igniting. The property has been empty for years so I suspect the gas valve has seized. My question is should I have the boiler repaired or have a new condensing boiler installed? My thinking is the old cast iron boilers will run until spares run out (and will pump sludge until the cows come home) whereas a new boiler is way more efficient but (a) any sludge will destroy the heat exchanger (b) there is far more to go wrong and (c) the new boiler will need replacing after 10 or so years anyway. So the efficiency cost saving is offset by the 10 year replacement cost. Furthermore, if i keep the old boiler can i have someone move it? Or does that trigger replacement? Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. My opinion - keep the old one if you can. It will outlast anything made more recently, but will cost you more in gas, a lot more. Its probably only around 50% efficient, so every pound's worth of gas only gives you 50p of heat.
2. Spares are / will become the limiting factor. You could consider getting a new gas valve and a set of ignition components, but money wasted if something else goes.
3. Moving it is highly likely to require a new flue. A quick internet check suggests the flue parts are no longer available, so almost certainly a non-starter.

Many thanks. That was my thinking. I am having a woodburner so that negates the need for a lot of gas usage. Never thought of the flue needing replacement. I only wanted it moving about 1.5 metre to the right into the corner of the room. So will have to give it some more thought.

If you’re not going to be using much gas consumption, I’d suggest a replacement especially if you want it re-positioning, I doubt flues and fittings are available for that anymore. As for the “sludge” - only a water sample would probably determine this. A new boiler if not much demand is placed on it as you suggest should give you a good number of years hassle free.

Sponsored Links
Sludge will only kill a heat exchanger if sludge is present. A system which has been properly flushed in accordance with British Standards and manufacturers instructions will not have any sludge in it. The thing about new boilers only lasting 10 years is a total myth spread about by people who find such myths to be an advantageous marketing tool when trying to sell someone a new boiler they probably don't need. There's no reason why they shouldn't last twice that long

It might not have any sludge in it on day one but sludge can develop over time, so the only way to avoid sludge (and protect the heat exchanger) is regular checks and powerflushing when needed. So that means more expense compared to cast iron which can handle sludge. German boiler manufacturer warned me that condensing boilers only last about 10 years and sludge will destroy the exchanger (so you need to keep on top of it). And suggested I keep the cast iron one if I can because (so long as parts are available) they will keep going indefinately.

Sludge will only kill a heat exchanger if sludge is present. A system which has been properly flushed in accordance with British Standards and manufacturers instructions will not have any sludge in it. The thing about new boilers only lasting 10 years is a total myth spread about by people who find such myths to be an advantageous marketing tool when trying to sell someone a new boiler they probably don't need. There's no reason why they shouldn't last twice that long

Well, I can think of one reason; lack of understanding what the machine actually requires so it gets poke and go servicing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back