Cast Iron downpipe and hopper.. skip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed some cast iron downpipes that had split and the collar on the hopper was leaking. (for my sins i've replaced with plastic.. believe it or not i'm a conservation engineer) :p
what is the best way of getting rid of the iron?..shall i just skip it?... or would anywhere be able to make use of it? would i get any money for it from a recycler? I have about 3m worth of 2 1/2 inch stuff and a nice cast hopper..

Sponsored Links
if its broken its not a lot of use is it?

hit it with club hammer (usual saftey kit) and put out in your bin, and your neigbours, and their neghbours

Why not give it to a local scrappie, or put it in the waste skip of a metalworking firm, or the metals bin at your local recycling tip. If it's smashed into little bits in various bins I would think it'll finish up in landfill. .....Not very conservation minded.

Put the hopper on eBay..under Architectural salvage ;) Put the pipe in the bin.....can be bought new.

Sponsored Links
dunno whether it's just my area, but the local tip has a scrap metal bin, maybe yours has. just don't bother going anywhere near a tip at the weekend :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back