Cast Iron Fireplace - to paint or not to paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

we were thinking on buying an old original victorian combination bedroom fireplace, for our living room. its painted white currently (the hood and the mantle).

We've had the chimney swept and want to reconnect the gas so we have a working fireplace. I've read that the paint on these fireplaces is not heat resistant and will bubble/peel off when we start a fire.

Is this true? Can we get away with only stripping the hood of the fireplace and leaving the mantle (also metal) in white.

Since its all the rage to strip paint away from the fireplace, I can't find any information on painted fireplaces ... and heathens that we are we actually quite like the white painted cast iron fireplaces.

Is there any way we can have both a painted white fireplace that doesn't look horrid and one that works?

Attaching a picture of the fireplace - we do plan to strip it down (and close your eyes if you can't bear reading this) and then paint it white again if someone tells us we can and what sort of paint will do the trick.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/corene_d/fireplace

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could try hammerite smooth, this is both heat resistant and will give a smooth finish. paint or areosol. The heat wont be as hot at the front of the fireplace as the heat is radiated away, it will get quite warm but Hamerite will cope with that no probs.

Theres a black polish you can get for old fireplaces..i cant remember the name of it though..but its a beautiful finish.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to strip off the old paint, then you will probably need to get it done professionally, either dipped or sand blasted,

You can get very high temperature paints for BBQs etc, i believe the do a colour choice. or once it is stripped black lead it.

Just remembered...its called Z-Brite

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back