Cast Iron Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings All

Picked up two rads today (not the one in the photo - not that good yet) and prior to pressure testing I have been looking at materials and means of getting someone to plumb them in.

One thing that has been obvious is that the old rads have four equal inlets and outlets; I have seen some plumbed in the traditional manner with the bottom left and bottom right being used for water-in and water-out however in some examples the water-in is plumbed to top right and water-out is bottom right - is there any benefits to plumbing in an alternate manner?

Capture.PNG

Cheers and thanks for any advice offered

Sponsored Links
without inspecting the vintage salvage radiators and without checking how the newer central heating system is set up. Pipe the radiator flow pipe into any top connection and the radiator return pipe into the opposite bottom connection.

Above could change after doing initial inspections & checks :cautious:

I have been looking at materials and means of getting someone to plumb them in.
Just let the installer sort it out,thats what you will be paying them for :D

Sponsored Links
Jst let the installer sort it out,thats what you will be paying them for :D

I am supplying valves and bushes/adapters cause we want a particular style and that impacts on side available. If we plumb to the to of the rad then we can choose different valves.

Main reason these days for a TBOE or TBSE (top bottom opposite ends/top bottom same end) fitment is for disabled/elderly users, gives easier access to the TRV though TBOE is a more efficient way to pipe a rad but your left with the TRV like that.

Most rad fittings these days are BOE (Bottom opposite ends) as it is more minimalistic and looks tidier.

st rad fittings these days are BOE (Bottom opposite ends) as it is more minimalistic and looks tidier.

Brilliant, thanks for a great reply.

As we are looking for a more traditional install to retain the original look of the rad then to the top is fine with us. Thanks again

As we are looking for a more traditional install to retain the original look of the rad then to the top is fine with us. Thanks again
The trv would look better with the head on it's side ( not vertical) With those pipes in+out on the same side, I made a spreader pipe which went inside the top of the rad to give even flow across- but then I was playing @ home with a £25 ebay bargain rad - genuine Victorian, bought some 15 miles from me;) Top/bottom opposite end for yours.

Any issues with using 22mm cooper into the rad as the heavier look would be more authentic considering I remember the old car iron pipes being more chunky.

@ikearns , I assumed from your first post that these are reclaimed original cast iron columns and not new ones? If that's correct then no need to worry about being directional/baffled.
Some new column/tubular rads have baffles inserted to ensure they flow in a certain direction, so they heat up correctly.

I was more offended by the pipework!
Maybe the poxy pex is temporary,the installer was working with one hand. Snake bite injury :cry: See his other videos.

The radiator looks ok

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back