Cast Iron Radiators LTD - AVOID

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

What with cast iron radiators coming back into fashion I decided to order a new custom built 14 section radiator to compliment my period living room.

Just a general heads up really....I used a company in Yorkshire called Cast Iron Radiators Limited who also trade as Period Style Limited.

In short they delivered a faulty/leaking rad to me which I had to pay to put right. After admitting blame they have refused to refund me the £80 to have the rad fixed. They supplied the rad with two leaking couplers, one of which was delivered with a split seal!
I've now had to contact my credit card company to chase up the refund for the faulty radiator, who luckily said I have a simple and will seek to refund the entire purchase price of the radiator!

If anyone is thinking of ordering from this bunch of con men please don't.
I did a lot of research online and they only worked out £10 cheaper on delivery compared to two other companies. For £10 it really isn't worth it.
I've left a more detailed review for them on trust pilot if anyone is interested.

Has anyone else had trouble from this company or similar cowboys?

Sponsored Links
Why did you pay someone to fix the radiator? It seems that you didn't give them the opportunity to repair it themselves...

Why did you pay someone to fix the radiator? It seems that you didn't give them the opportunity to repair it themselves...

When I had water dripping all over my laminate flooring on Friday night and the company were closed for the weekend I had no option but to get the plumber back out.

The couplers top and bottom that were leaking are a left hand thread. The valve screws in on a right hand thread meaning it could be over tightened.
Once the plumber came back out and took the coupler off the washer/seal had split meaning it was over tightened once the rad had been pressure tested and assembled just prior to packaging. Check out the photo

joe-90 - I wish I owned a cast iron radiator business! I'd love one in every single room in my house, but that will never happen. :cry:

Sponsored Links
And the plumber didn't notice this when he fitted the rad? I usually check that everything is sealed before fitting it and check for drips once it is fitted and filled.... You could of course just turned off the radiator at the valves and put a little plastic tray under the drip... Why do folk have no common sense?

So, they admitted blame but because you took it on your own shoulders to get a plumber back & pay for replacements your £80 down, is that correct? If so I don't see what your gripe is TBH. Problems can & do happen, had they been given the opportunity to send you replacements all would be well I assume? If you buy something & there is a problem there is a difference between giving the supplier chance to put it right and going off & spending more of your money putting it right & expecting them to foot the costs.

And the plumber didn't notice this when he fitted the rad? I usually check that everything is sealed before fitting it and check for drips once it is fitted and filled.... You could of course just turned off the radiator at the valves and put a little plastic tray under the drip... Why do folk have no common sense?

Haha you must think you're really clever? Unfortunately the internet is full of caustic little men that hide behind computer keyboards all day getting off on posting little arrogant comments on forums.

Anyway....

Just to explain a little further, the company agreed the repair and the costs and even sent out the replacement seals in agreement that they cover the costs for the plumber to come back a 3rd time and put right. All in line with section 48B of the Sales of Goods act etc.

What my gripe is that after agreeing to pay for the repair of their faulty product they decide now they don't want to actually pay for it.

Either way your telling me you would have 2 days off work, so you can stay at home day and night and keep emptying a drip tray every hour until the 24 litre radiator had eventually emptied? It's that or just let it leak everywhere and then foot the bill for replacing some of my laminate flooring that will get ruined in the process. Come on guys

So, (1) You notice a leak after fitting & contact them? (2) Your plumber comes out & says parts are faulty? (3)They agree to foot bill & send parts (4)They then say they won't?

I don't understand why the Friday night & them being closed came into play?? I run a business & know it's hard to build a reputation and easy to lose it from threads like this. The original post sounded like it all happened late on a Friday when they were closed so you took it upon yourself to get it fixed & expect them to foot the bill.

Nope, I don't see myself as clever but you appear to be particularly thick... Fist you say that the fault was noticed on a Friday and the supplier was closed over the week end... Then you claim that they agreed to pay for the repairs.... How did the do that when they were closed... Either way a decent wrap of plumbers tape would have sorted your problem without you having to wait for seals to arrive.

Once the valves are closed and the pressure in the radiator has been relieved, then the drip would have diminished considerably, perhaps tp the point of stopping..

We see plenty of fools here who are unhappy at their own stupidity but want to blame someone else..

Nope, I don't see myself as clever but you appear to be particularly thick... Fist you say that the fault was noticed on a Friday and the supplier was closed over the week end... Then you claim that they agreed to pay for the repairs.... How did the do that when they were closed... Either way a decent wrap of plumbers tape would have sorted your problem without you having to wait for seals to arrive.

Once the valves are closed and the pressure in the radiator has been relieved, then the drip would have diminished considerably, perhaps tp the point of stopping..

We see plenty of fools here who are unhappy at their own stupidity but want to blame someone else..

Aww bless you for still trying....
Unfortunately no matter how hard you want to try and disprove my account you still struggle and therefore have to revert to very intelligent and grown up name calling. (By the way this is called 'sarcasm' - quite possibly a concept of communication that is yet to manifest itself within you.) However with all the derision aside, regardless of what point your tirelessly trying to make against me personally, these are the main points I'm concerned about, non of which are my 'own stupidity'

1. The rad was first delivered without a bleed valve which I had to chase up
2. The brand new, made to order rad was delivered with TWO leaking joints
3. They claim to pressure test all rads up to 8 bar - clearly not the case
4. Why should anyone (including a plumber) have to dismantle a brand new radiator to reseal joints before fitting 'just in case' they are not sealed in the first place
5. I have in writing and over several telephone conversations confirmation they will reimburse me the cost to fix their fault, especially because of the inconvenience

It's not my intention to tarnish anyone's business reputation, but in cases like this, people should be aware of the type of 'company' they are really giving their money to.

Op:

1. Imho you're being a bit harsh with your calling the company cowboys and conmen. One rogue rad proves nothing.

2. It does seem a little odd that the plumber didn't check for leaks after fitting. Moreover, it seems somewhat harsh of him to charge for an oversight of checking on his part.

3. I don't understand why you didn't instruct the plumber to remove the rad and have it returned as a faulty product.

3. You say you are now looking for an entire refund. Presumably this will require you returning the rad to the manufacturer, which will incur additional costs..

It's not my intention to tarnish anyone's business reputation, but in cases like this, people should be aware of the type of 'company' they are really giving their money to.

This is precisely you intention, you have given no proof that this has happened and have given the company in question no right of reply.. If they have given you written confirmation that they will pay the repair bill then I suggest that your best course of action would be through the courts....They will require proof.

I'm very sorry if you feel that my approach to you is a little abrupt but you do come across as a whining plonker..

Over the years I have used a number of different plumbers. Usually because I have moved house and lost their contact details or because they have been too busy to do a small job for me but have recommended a different guy.

I can say with all honesty that every plumber/gas fitter has done the job, tested it completely and then sat and had a chat for at least half an hour while the system/appliance has run through a complete cycle. If any faults were found at this time they have stayed to repair/correct them.

I appreciate that not all plumbers/gas fitters can afford the time to do this but it certainly seems to pay off for these guys as they are never short of work.

Perhaps your plumber should take this approach and not just do a quick check before leaving. Many plumbers are first class tradesmen but unfortunately a few 'cowboys' give the whole trade a bad name.

Sponsored Links
Back