Cast iron soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a cast iron soil pipe which runs under the floorboards from the downstairs toilet to the outside manhole, part of the pipe runs under the hall/kitchen for about 6 meters, it goes from the front of the house right the way to the back.

This pipe then runs into a shared sewer which is prone to blocking. Yesterday for example the water was nearly at the top of the manhole. This obviously needs looking at, and I have rung the water company, but this is not the reason for this post.

If the shared sewer is blocked and the water is near the top of the manhole then obviously a large proportion of the cast iron pipe is completely full of water.

But my worry is that one day the pipe will corrode and leak, it's about 60 years old, and then if the shared sewer blocks then the foul water will escape under my hall/kitchen floor.

So my question is, should I invest the money and get this pipe lined? Or would you consider it a waste of money? Also does anyone know how much it would cost to line 6 meters of pipe.

I want to just remove the downstairs loo and block off the pipe but the wife wont have it.

Thanks,

Bob

Sponsored Links
That pipe should be spun cast - not thin wall like used up walls for vent pipes - it'll last another 60 years at least. (y) If you can post a picture of a pipe joint it can be identified.

£330 to line it, more if it needs to be dug up for access. Waste of money in my opinion.

Can you see the pipe? Cast iron underground or even horizontal is very rare.

I’d concentrate on sorting out the shared section to stop the sewer backing up.

£330 to line it, more if it needs to be dug up for access.

Is that right? £330 to line 6 meters of pipe? That seems very cheap to me

That pipe should be spun cast - not thin wall like used up walls for vent pipes - it'll last another 60 years at least. (y) If you can post a picture of a pipe joint it can be identified.

I can't get a picture without ripping up some floorboards. It's quite a construction though supported on brick piers of decreasing height until it exits the house at the far side. Must have weighed a ton. Apparently the downstairs toilet was an option when the houses were built. Certainly wasn't added afterwards.

Sponsored Links
It’s £55/mtr at our place but thinking about it there may be a set up charge of £300 that includes the first 3mtrs so that would make it £465.

I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you, worst case scenario would be to replace it with plastic under the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back