Castrol Magnatec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is Castrol Magnetec a gimmick or does it really work?
Im currently doing short journeys of about 3 miles and not sure if magnetec does what they claim regards engine wear

Sponsored Links
I don't think there's anyone here who can genuinely comment on the effectiveness of the Magnatec range, however Castrol have been world leaders in lubricants for years and scores of manufacturers recommend them - cars, trucks and motorcycles.
Therefore I would consider it one of the best lubes out there and would use it with confidence......but do check out which spec and viscosity is needed for your vehicle.
More regular oil and filter changes with your sort of mileage is a good move too - together with the odd longer run. This should help to keep the emissions lamp out on your car!
John :)

You’d probably be better off with a good oil such as Castrol if you’re doing lots of short journeys. (y)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it will attract tiny bits of steel and turn itself into a highly effective grinding paste.

seriously though, I doubt it has any magnetic properties, and even if it did, are the bearings made from ferrous metals ?

The bearing shell wearing faces are non ferrous, but of course the crankshaft is ferrous but only Castrol would tell what their theories are!
I think one of the properties that Magnatec claimed was to keep particles in suspension well - just like any other oil.
I have to say, if I'm faced with the famous DV6 motor Castrol is a good choice, and take that bloody turbo filter out too.

I don't believe it's really magnetic, I think they just meant it clings to the bearing surfaces instead of draining away and leaving them dry. Probably achieved by viscosity or surface tension.

I expect other quality brands will do the same.

With such short journeys you will need frequent oil changes, probably 6-monthly, so not worth buying a synthetic oil where you pay for its extended life.

The bearing shell wearing faces are non ferrous, but of course the crankshaft is ferrous but only Castrol would tell what their theories are!
I think one of the properties that Magnatec claimed was to keep particles in suspension well - just like any other oil.
I have to say, if I'm faced with the famous DV6 motor Castrol is a good choice, and take that bloody turbo filter out too.
a quick search and it is apparently designed to stick to hot surfaces better !

DV6, is that the 1.6hdi ? trhats what I have in my van, getting the turbo filter out is quite an involved job ? mine is coming up to 80k so probably ripe for a turbo failure! I have changed the oil and filter every year which is about every 5,000 mile, so it should be OK, i'm on that ineos quartz stuff. Most of my van journeys will be less than 5 miles, quite often 4 one mile journeys a day so engine rarely hot.

The DV6 motor is a very crisp motor, economical and swift.....the turbo right at the front of the motor is tiny and spins at a hell of a rate. However it’s longevity is totally dependant on regular filter and oil changes so your maintenance programme is fine - the engine can go to very high mileages if looked after.
The trouble is, there is a filter in the oil supply line to the turbo. If the oil change intervals are ignored the filter blocks and the turbo fails.
Citroen won’t guarantee the motor even if they rebuild it - only recommending a complete replacement.
However, I find that a new turbo, losing that filter and replacing the oil pump is a perfect repair so long as there isn’t any scuff marks on the camshaft.
John

Sponsored Links
Back