Cat 5 cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a cat5 cable that is suitable for external use, preferably over head (got to link 2 buildings Steel clad so no wifi and no duct ) or is it a case of strap to DW10 and let them take their chances.
TIA

Sponsored Links
String a catenary wire to support flexible UV proof conduit and run the Cat 5 inside that.

Allow some derating of speed due to high temperatures that could occur in direct sunlight. ( check the ratings of the Cat5 cable you are using for temperature effects )

Good Idea thanks got 2 steel roofs to get over then work off a pallet on a forklift. Bloody people move out the smoke and expect miracles and want it all done for a drink.
Ho hum their supplying
Ta

Sponsored Links
I would use duct grade cable even though not in a duct. It is more durable and black sheath.

Ideally, linking buildings should be done with fibre. If it the odd machine this tends to be ignored.

You could use microwave transmitters and reciever. These are mainly used when crossing highways etc. Two 'camera' looking things pointing at each other.

WIFI could be used in bridge mode - Fit external aerials.

Yep I know it should be fibre but it is only one machine, just as a general question though I know coming off different phases in different buildings causes some problems with the earth earth potential. I cant guarantee that they won't have problems and wondered what the loss might be if any.

This site is old farm buildings Stuck out the middle of nowhere their lucky to get what they've got and a lot of it was cobbled together by themselves, suddenly they realised that hosting a web design business in the sticks aint so clever ho hum.

Differences in earth potential between the building will create differences in the 0volt of the power supplies in the equipment either end of the link. That will lead to corrupted data requiring repeats of corrupted packets and as a result slow data transfers. A steady difference of a volt or two is not a serious problem ( if the equipment is good ). Sudden changes of a few volts are the problem when there is a direct galvanic ( metal ) connection between the units.

Sudden transients in power loading or nearby lightning strikes can take the difference in 0volt potentials high enough to damage the data ports connected to the link.

You do need to have isolation between the systems that removes galvanic connection between the two units. Fibre is the obvious, best protection and possibly easiest route.

Using transformer or optical isolation modules at one or both ends may reduce bit rate but at the same time may increase overall data rate ( less corruption ) and provide protection against damage to the equipment from mains related differences in earth potentials. It would also reduce the risk of damage from lightning related effects but not eliminate the risk.

Wireless may be an option but with two steel building in the way un-likely to work well. Also has problems with confidentiality if the business is competative.

Twisted pair ethernet actually has built in transformer isolation so it should cope with some difference in ground potential. Get the difference high enough and you will probablly start blowing things though.

IF the buildings main earths are connected together with a decent sized cable then I strongly suspect if something big enough happens to cause a significant ground potential difference then the ethernet will be the lead of your problems

Twisted pair ethernet actually has built in transformer isolation so it should cope with some difference in ground potential. Get the difference high enough and you will probablly start blowing things though.

It may be that the connection is not using ethernet but instead RS422 or RS485.

IF the buildings main earths are connected together with a decent sized cable then I strongly suspect if something big enough happens to cause a significant ground potential difference then the ethernet will be the lead of your problems

For the fast transients that do damage the interconnecting earth has to be very low impedence at high frequency, so no bends in the cable.

Thanks for the Info,much sucking of teeth and ah's and a look of utter shock when they found out the cost of cable not to mention my cost.
Personally I won't worry walking away from this one but when they suggested it might be quicker using the forklift and me on a palet I did chuckle as they can't drive one (I can ) and they don't like heights.

I have just seen the answer to your problem.

Low cost and has additional benefits to staff.

Some USB pen sticks, a pair of legs and for bad weather an umbrella.

Stops people getting fat sitting at a desk all day long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back