CCTV with Audio and Cat 5 cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Has anyone ever used Cat5 to run power / visual and more importantly to this particular question ‘Audio’
This install is in a private house, decent DVR and cameras, max run 26 meters.
I’ve opted for Cat5 (reasons of colour – white) . I’ve been advised that the power and quality of the Visual will be ok, but I wonder about using 2 of the pairs for Audio, as I’ll have to solder on some RCA connectors to connect to the microphones
I may run the Cat5 in thin Trucking (wasn’t going to before) which now means that if you guys think that the Cat5 isn’t up to the job of Audio, I could get a roll of RCA and do it that way (dedicated cable for Audio only) .
It appears that there’s limited choice in Mics , spoke to a couple of shops and their basically selling what’s on ebay : item number: 320857413208
Thoughts / Experience on the cabling would be much appreciated.
Many Thx

Ps Posted up on the project before under title "New CCTV equipment advice" (can’t seem to get link) Big ‘Shout’ to E999, sparkmarka , and Sally2000. Thx

Sponsored Links
CAT5 being twisted pair is fine for audio provided the source and destination are both balanced and earth free. ( or centre tapped to earth )

Converting from single ended to balanced is best achieved using audio frequency line isolation transformers. Same as baluns for video

1:1 line isolation transformer CWC9000

RS stock number 208-822

EDIT oops discontinued alternatives available

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/cpd/0208822/?searchTerm=208+822

Ok that looks good.
I got a XDH 16 with 4 audio in and one audio out.
Please bare with me over this:
So 1 pair from a 12 v supply to mic. Then another pair coming out of mic to dvr finished with a phono plug to plug into DVR.
Could I pull the power from the supply to the cameras? (One 12v power supply for 5 cameras – but only to using 4 mics)
I ask, as could there be any interference via a neutral (for example).

Thanx

Sponsored Links
You can use the same 12v for camera and audio you will also find the ground/ 0volts is common . What power supply have you got ? Recommend the dantech 8 way units ... Never had one go down bullet proof or the Haydon cctv psu. Hope this helps

Oh sh*t I've just checked and I've been sent a Qvis 12v - 5A -
4way, was sure I asked for 8 way as need to run 5 cameras.
Not that it matters, plenty of power, I'll just double up on one of the splitters out of the transformer.
And 'yes' sparkymarka your info has helped, alot, no wonder you've been thanked 250 times !
Nice one & cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back