CCTV Over CAT5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been asked to install an additional CCTV camera at work.

Its not something I normally do, but have agreed to look into it as a favour.

The CCTV room has two Sprite DVR's, and there is a spare BNC input for me to use.

I was planning on simply running CAT5 from the camera site, to the CCTV room and then using CAT5 - BNC baluns to connect to the sprite, powering the camera locally at the camera site.

Does this seem ok, as i say its not something I usually do and I only found the CAT5 - BNC baluns today.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Cheers, was hoping that was the case.

Quite lucky actually, because I have to run a cat5 along the same route anyway, now i'll just run two.

I used cat5 with baluns and was staggered that it actually works, and the picture quality is as good as RG59 coax.

I'm a convert! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Excellent, its only for a small covert camera anyway so picture quailty isnt mega critical.

Glad to know it works well though as the cable could be used for a better camera in the future.

Shouldnt really take on these "favours" it will end up being part of my job description tommorrow

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back