CCTV web server output to AV port on a TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a CCTV camera connected into a CCTV web server so the picture can be viewed remotely over the web or from a local PC

The web server also has a video out port (BNC) for connection to a local monitor which I've never used and I would like to be able to connect this output to an AV input on the TV.

The problem is that the TV is a distance from the web server and I won't be able to run an AV cable but I do have an unused Cat5 cable to a socket behind the TV which was put in just in case the ethernet port on the SKY box ever got used and the other end of the cable is close to the web server

I am aware that there are CCTV baluns available so that you can use cat5 to connect a camera to a web server so my initial thought is to connect the web server output to a CCTV balun and use the cat 5 cable with the other Balun at the TV end and use a BNC to AV connector and cable to connect to the TV port

That would be too easy so there must be a flaw ?

Does anyone know if this will work

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Lectrician

Just wanted a second opinion as I was a bit suspicious that the solution was simple and also cheap to provide

Will order some Baluns

:)

Baluns? nah just try it without...

Either it works or it does not, if it does all is good, if it does not then you need to get something else.
I have seen CCTV run on 4 core alarm cable before, it worked.

connect it to a SCART plug & away you go.

Sponsored Links
Baluns? nah just try it without...

Either it works or it does not, if it does all is good, if it does not then you need to get something else.
I have seen CCTV run on 4 core alarm cable before, it worked.

connect it to a SCART plug & away you go.

You are kidding?

You need to use bulans. Unless you have an Argos special DIY CCTV system.

No I'm not kidding, I said "try it" who knows it may work.

Sometimes when boards are designed we design the inputs to that numbnuts can connect almost anything to them. :D

SO the suggestion is to simply try it first.

My guess is it might just work if it is a short run but you will get far better image quality with the right baluns.

If someone has cctv installed using alarm cable then I hope the alarm company did not install it - if they did, I would recommend changing to a different company straight away.....

Alarm cable can work, but why throw away what little quality you get on cctv with the wrong cable, when its not that much more expensive to do it properly....

Who said a CCTV company had installed using alarm cable?

I was just saying that I have seen CCTV running using it, sometime you dont need to go too technical with things & sometime esp for short runs it just works. Just like you can make an aerial with wet string :D

I'm not suggesting it should be a permanent solution, just to try it.

Thanks for all the responses

I hadn't conscidered connecting directly to the cat 5 and although this may work OK I've gone for the option of using video baluns as I don't want to lose image quality and to quote kensplace "its not that much more expensive to do it properly"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back