Advice needed on which cable to use for CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i am in the position of purchasing some 540 TVL colour/mono CCD cameras and was looking into the wiring for these.

I have spoken to some people regarding the cable and have had mixed responses. Out of all the responses I gotm the following two were most common:

1. Get two cables, a coaxial RG59 and one for power, run them parallel to each other and wire them direct into the back of the camera i.e. removing the currect socket wires on the camera with the other end of the cable with a BNC connector for the DVR.

2. Similar to above but using a cable made for this purpose with a RG59 and power cable in on cord so to say. The disadvantage with this for me is that the cable in question is very expensive.

However with these two in mind, I bump into a friend of mine who fits CCTV systems for a living. He told me to use a CAT5 cable with baluns. The others were this practice of using CAT5 for CCTV but he highly recommended using it.

Likewise guys, what method do you guys think i should use and why. Also what do you guys think about the CAT5 option. If this method was used would I need no extra power cable going in also? Or does the CAT5 have two power cords inside also

Thanks a lot

p.s. if it helps I want to make sure that my image quality is optimal at all times, so which ever method above will enhance that, please specify for me

Sponsored Links
The choice is entierely upto you.

I personally would go with the RG59 and seperate power because I'm a bit old fashioned, and it's what I've always used.

Wheter you want to buy the cable where these are combined into the same outer sheath is entirely upto you. The only advantage is neatness (and ease of running)

I have a camera at home run on cat 5 with baluns (as an experiment)
The picture quatily is just as good as traditional RG59.

Cat 5 is an 8 core cable, so you can use one pair for the video, and the other 3 pairs for the power to the camera.

Thanks for the info RF. Where do you think I can get the combined cable from at a reasonable price. Since your in Leeds, I wont mind some local suppliers to yourself also as im in Bradford anyway.

Regarding the Cat5, there shouldnt be any loss of quality based on your test in that case?

Nope, the camera is running quite happily. I have a proper CCTV monitor, which displays a better resoloution picture than a standard TV screen, and it is just as clear as cameras run on RG59.

Cat 5 can be bought at any electrical wholesaler, although it is normally supplied in 305 meter boxes, which might be a bit much :LOL:

I personally buy virtually all my CCTV kit mail order from SystemQ

They have a website with online ordering, but they are a trade only supplier. Are you a tradesperson?

(I know someone who fibbed on the online application, and they accepted him no questions) ;)

Sponsored Links
Lol no not a tradesperson. Ive just done a total interior fitout of my own work premises and have aimed at tackeling every job myself where i can apart from where I would need certifications I have got professionals in to do jobs such as electrical etc

Cat5 I can get possibly free to be honest lol but the thing is i have been told by two seperate guys from different companies offering cctv services that Cat5 has a reduction in quality due to have to convert signals or something silly.

If that is a load of nonesense then I may as well go ahead with that rout.

The run of cat 5 on my camera is maybe 25m or so, so I don't know it there would be any degradation of picture quality on a longer run, but I'm impressed to say the least.

I have high end kit installed (I spent ~£700 on one camera :eek: ), so don't beleive it if they say it's only any good for cheap CCTV kits and the like.

It does convert the impedence of the signal at each end as cat 5 works with higher frequency signals, but that is nothing really to worry about.

oh, and one more thing, just for your reference, I pay £21+vat for 100m of 'shotgun' cable. (the RG59 and power in the same sheath stuff)

Wow that is cheaper than I expected to be honest. Also I was expectin to use just about 100m anyway

Cat5 and baluns is our standard method for cabling. Just make sure you use a pair, NOT a choice of 2 wires out of the 8.
You can run the power down the cat5 too. If distance involved, use a pair each for + and -. This helps minimise the volts drop.

So Atilla, from the 8 wires I choose any two for +, any two for -, and the other two pairs for the camera itself?

Think he means you need to use the same twisted pair for the camera signal, so will leave one spare pair.

If using CAT5 I'd suggest you use

1 twisted pair for the video signal.

1 twisted pair for +12v & 0v

another twisted pair for +12v & 0v

The last twisted pair can be used for an audio connection if your camera has one, if not connect them to 0v/12v rather than leave them floating.

By using a twisted pair for the supply then another twisted pair for another duplicate supply, rather than use a twisted pair for 12v & a twisted pair for 0v, interference may be cancelled out and you still achieve the reduction in volt drop by using 2 wires for each supply rail.

Thanks for that guys, may just use the cat5 after all as my relative has a 305m barrel which he says i can take ;)

When making this decision, remember the cable with the power core in may cost less than the baluns with power connectors on which you will need over such a long run.

hi guys,

i'm sure i heard somewhere before you can only run 100mA of power down cat5 cable.

is this true? because it seems a lot of you are reccommending cat5 for video & power, but obvioulsy if the camera needs more than 100mA it would not work.

can someone please confirm or correct me.

thanks
James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back