CCTV

Question time
If the building regs are statutory and equipment/work shall be compliant?

Does this mean the can be safely ignored?

I can answer that question

Regulations tend to be mandatory when they say things like "you must" or "all installations shall" but not when they say "it is good practice to" or "where reasonably practicable"

HTH
I know, hence my earlier comment. But tend to is not specific though, hence the devil is in the wording.

Sponsored Links
@ john ok i understand, was not trying to funny, just generally interested, and no offence took at all.

But tend to is not specific though, hence the devil is in the wording.

The section L part that Denso kindly provided definitely says "reasonable provision" so that one is not mandatory. Anyone who interprets "reasonable provision" as meaning "this requires" is wrong.

I'm all in favour of conforming with good practice, of course, but you can't be fined or imprisoned for not doing it.

Like i say, the wording makes it difficult, at the very least, with many of the various sections to define right and not quite allowed.

Had a situation on site today where three of us each had a different view on whether something was compliant.
Common sense prevailed when the Site Manager said 'Fck it, it'll do, we hand over tomorrow'.

Sponsored Links
Actually, this is part L in its entirety

I incorrectly quoted the approved document before which is for guidance only.

You don't have to get rid of them, but you are no longer allowed to install them, and also the lamps will get more and more difficult to source.

Correct. Also it does say 150W is the total allowed. But this is not being enforced unless on new builds IIRC.

it does say 150W is the total allowed.
Can you link to an official document that prohibits installations over 150W?

Since it isn't in Part L that Denso kindly provided. You must be looking somewhere else.

And since this thread is about an outdoor cctv system I take it you aren't referring to internal domestic lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back