I’m not overly impressed with IP cameras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed my cctv about 5 years ago. I used cameras with Sony Starvis chipset on rg59 shotgun cable. At the time I pondered over cat 5 and IP POE type cameras. I have been happy with what I fitted and the supercam plus app to access them

just recently I decided to get some work done on the house and thought about swapping to IP cameras and re cabling in cat5/6. I also looked at cameras with the latest Sony starlight chipset and in all honesty apart from the programming options of IP I couldn’t see any benefit from a picture quality perspective. My Sony chipset cameras retain colour at all times. They are getting tired now but all things considered I think I will retain the cabling and just hang the new starlight cameras and dvr onto it.

Is there anyone able to sell the benefits of an IP camera system

Sponsored Links
The quality depends on the camera, you don't say what the resolution of the analogue or the IP cameras are and if they have a similar lens with a similar field of view. Just because the lens is say 2.8mm and same resolution on both there can be slight differences in the field of view.

If you look at live views they are usually dumbed down resolutions and not the same as recorded resolution.

Frame rates are on analogue cameras for recording drop significantly compared to the same resolution IP camera.

So if they are the similar technologies and manufacturer ie starvis and 4MP or less I doubt you will see much benefit by going IP, just on image alone.

Often IP cameras may have there own basic analytics, the more you pay the more whistles and bells, but do you need them?

Nowadays it isn't as simple as ip versus analogue, but what or where you compromise on what you need.

an 8MP analogue camera isn't going to do many frames per second recording possibly 8-12 without checking specs for a specific camera and 20 plus fps on an 8MP IP camera, the police at one time recommended a recording frame rate of at least 12fps.

I know it doesn't answer your question directly, but its not as simple or as straight forward as one against the other anymore, and with analogue often a fraction of the ip camera price for similar technology. So have to look at full spec camera vs camera.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back