Poe switch/nvr wiring to router ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already have a cctv system which I’m considering updating. If I go down the POE switch route rather than an NVR with the dedicated RC45 sockets do I need to run 2 separate network cables to my router or could I wire both components into an Ethernet hub/switch and then a single cable to the router?
The reason I ask is that my current DVR is in the loft and it was a devil of a job to wire the network cable downstairs to the router so want to avoid having to run a second.

I currently have a 2mp Sony Starvis camera system on the “shotgun” power/coax cable which I’m thinking of updating. I’m either going IP on cat5 or just keeping the Coax and onto Sony Starlight 5mp IMX335 chipset cameras which in all honesty look as good as the IP stuff for my use.

Sponsored Links
All you would need to do is plug everything into the switch cameras, nvr, router. But you will more than likely need to manually add the cameras onto the nvr. Basically give the cameras an IP address that matches your ip range then add them onto the nvr.

Personally if I had coax already installed I would just get something like 5MP Turbo cameras.

All you would need to do is plug everything into the switch cameras, nvr, router. But you will more than likely need to manually add the cameras onto the nvr. Basically give the cameras an IP address that matches your ip range then add them onto the nvr.

Personally if I had coax already installed I would just get something like 5MP Turbo cameras.

Yes thanks for that. I think I’m going to stick with the coax but go down the 5mp Sony Starlight route. I’ve been impressed with the 2mp Starvis so think I will just get the new hybrid dvr and swap cameras a couple at a time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back