IP CCTV camera recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A relative of mine was asking me about outdoor IP CCTV cameras because I have a CCTV system myself. But mine is an analogue/wired system back to a DVR so I'm not that familiar with IP cameras.

I've done a bit of reading up from all sorts of sources and just wanted to confirm if this is a fair summary:

There are lots of cheapo IP cameras around with all sorts of brand names I've never heard of, and are probably best avoided? Few of the "outdoor" products seem to carry an IP66 rating.

Samsung Wisenet seem to get good reviews and are at least a well known name, but they tend to be a bit more pricey. They don't seem to do wireless - which suggests they are aimed at the professional market.

At the slightly cheaper end, only Hikvision seems to crop up time and time again in positive reviews. Are there any others around this price point/reputation to consider?

I'm not impressed by Swann from my own personal experiences.

Wireless isn't much cop and could potentially be jammed?

Finally, if wired is considered the way to go wherever possible, but too difficult to do in particular cases, has anyone any experience of running cameras over powerline adapters? i.e. with a local PSU or PoE injector to power the camera? and/or is it possible to get powerline adapters that support PoE.

I've used powerlines occasionally myself, but the biggest drawback seems to be that they won't work across certain types of RCD.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
HIK and Dhaua probably work out best value for money and guessing that's what your looking for.

As for your setup, we have a lot of unknowns. I would start with spec of the cameras to do what you need to and then work out how many are difficult to get back to the NVR.

There are powerline with built in poe, but your options really depend on how many connections you need and bandwidth.

2 separate installs 1 for me and 1 for a family member I went down the route of cheap unknown to keep cost down. Less than a year later after problem after problem I ripped all out and replaced with Hikvision and made the cabling work. I would not use power lines they come with there own problems you can’t beat hard wired back to NVR.

A little bit of extra effort and cost now will save you a future headache.

HIK and Dhaua probably work out best value for money and guessing that's what your looking for.

As for your setup, we have a lot of unknowns. I would start with spec of the cameras to do what you need to and then work out how many are difficult to get back to the NVR.

There are powerline with built in poe, but your options really depend on how many connections you need and bandwidth.

Thanks for the info. Best combination of quality, price, reliability and supportability.

An example of how even well known names get it wrong is my original Swann DVR. Worked OK for couple of years - and then I found out it had a hard coded root password like tens of thousands of others from the same Chinese factory. So it had to come off the net. Whilst I was working out if there was anything I could do about that, the thing went pop anyway - so it went in the skip. The cameras that came with it weren't terribly good to start with and all suffered night LED failure relatively quickly where they would all go one by one.

2 separate installs 1 for me and 1 for a family member I went down the route of cheap unknown to keep cost down. Less than a year later after problem after problem I ripped all out and replaced with Hikvision and made the cabling work. I would not use power lines they come with there own problems you can’t beat hard wired back to NVR.

A little bit of extra effort and cost now will save you a future headache.

I'm already converted :) My house alarm is wired, all my cameras are on good quality shotgun co-ax in spite of it needing a fair bit of floorboard lifting and some pretty awkward cable runs. But it's difficult to convince people attracted by the apparent ease of these consumer friendly wireless systems - so good to get the feedback to support my own view.

Sponsored Links
It no longer surprises me how many people buy things because they are available without researching into its suitability.

as for Swann, you can see on here how many have good things about them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back