CCTV Upgrade advice - IP Cameras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening guys,

I'm thinking of updating my CCTV at home from the current analogue cameras to IP, the main motive behind the change is to get HD cameras and to be able to access them remotely.

I would really appreciate any suggestions of cameras worth considering, so far i really like the look of Reolink however as with anything these days the reviews vary from brilliant to awful. Have also seen HikVision and Dahua mentioned as being good too! I was drawn to Reolink initially as they seem really good value however i don't want to buy a lemon so am more than open to spending a little more to get a decent product.

As for a recording solution i am considering the Blue Iris software, again any thoughts or suggestions on this are welcome.

My current setup if anyone is interested is an Ademco DVR with various branded cameras attached (Qvis, Ultracam, NiteDevil & a few cheapo unbranded). I also have one camera on a remote building that gets back to the DVR through a wireless point to point unit i bought. This will be replaced with a wireless bridge to extend my network over to the building which will allow me to add some extra cameras too.

I work in IT so wiring up and configuring the cameras isn't going to be an issue. I'm just no expert when it comes to CCTV so any help and advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys
Dan

Sponsored Links
I had a 4 camera cheapy unbranded setup. While there was nothing too wrong with it in terms of quality and remote access after a year it started playing up. I have now updated to a 6 camera system Hikvision NVR and cameras. I absolutely love it for ease of use, interface and so far no problems.

Summary I would recommend Hikvision, but if you don’t go with that stay away from a cheap unbranded make. Pay the extra it will be worth it in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back