Recommend an IP + NVR CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would highly appreciate any recommendations for ip camera + NVR CCTV system.
It is for my mother's shop. The shop is in an inner city area and she has had a few problems of late with one particularly nasty individual leaving dog mess every few days. Police couldn't care less as usual.

It's been a few years (7yrs) since I last looked at CCTV, I bought QVIS 720 dome style cameras with an 8ch DVR for the home - served quite well. does lose a lot of detail a few meters a way.

The shop is in a high footfall area - and there is a fair bit of crime about.

I'll probably install around 4 external cameras and 3 internal cameras.
External cameras would need to be vandal proof - as I can imagine they would be targeted.

Looking to get high spec external cameras to capture detail - they need to have good night visibility. Ideally, looking to cover the street as well to track which way vandals came and go.

I'm glad IP megapixel cameras have finally become mainstream - though I'm not sure which are considered best quality.

I have a budget of around £500-£1000. (Would prefer to spend nearer the £500 :) )

One that has caught my eye is:
HIKVISION DS-2CD2385FWD-I 8MP
seems to have a lot going for it.

I'm not sure if the current crop of qvis branded ip cameras how the favour.

Would prefer the cameras to be discrete, hence prefer the dome style.

Any good recommendations on cameras and nvr would be greatly appreciated.
Would like a feature rich NVR.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
For 7 decent cameras and an NVR to be able to record from them all (probably need min 4tb) I would say your looking over £1000.

As these are for something important don’t scrape on price. I highly recommend Hikvision I have 6 dome cameras which are really good quality.

For 7 decent cameras and an NVR to be able to record from them all (probably need min 4tb) I would say your looking over £1000.

As these are for something important don’t scrape on price. I highly recommend Hikvision I have 6 dome cameras which are really good quality.

Really? 4tb on a home system?

Why not just get a 1tb recorder and have it ticking over on 6fps and banging into real time using motion detection?

If the op wants 25fps 24/7 then he can just stick a couple of extra hdd's into it.

For the externals you would be better off getting bullet with built in infra red leds rather than domes. Unless there is a lot of ambient light, regular dome cameras will struggle at night. You can buy domes with built in IRs , but they tend to suffer with lens flare at night.

Sponsored Links
Really? 4tb on a home system?

Why not just get a 1tb recorder and have it ticking over on 6fps and banging into real time using motion detection?

If the op wants 25fps 24/7 then he can just stick a couple of extra hdd's into it.

The poster wrote it was for a shop not a home system in my eyes unless you know differently.

Exactly why I wrote 4tb so it can record at a good frame rate 24/7

Thanks for the replies, good call on recording on low frame rate and then go full frame on motion detection. Has motion detection gotten any better - my old apollo hd from qvis/adata - motion detection is pretty poor - if it rains, bugs flying by etc motion detection kicks in. Have any of the NVRs got good facial or human detection to start the motion recording.

regarding bullets vs domes - I thought the only difference was one of preference - is the IR on the bullet better - they are still around the lens?
What about the turrent ones (with separate windows for the lens and ir filter) - are they a better option?

The street does have street lighting.

trying to decide between all the 2,4,5,8 MP cameras - I guess I should be looking at one with a bigger sensor size - as this would probably be able to capture more detail.

Are the hikvision ip cameras better than the current qvis ones - without being able to compare - it's hard to figure out which cameras are good.

For the externals you would be better off getting bullet with built in infra red leds rather than domes. Unless there is a lot of ambient light, regular dome cameras will struggle at night. You can buy domes with built in IRs , but they tend to suffer with lens flare at night.

You want to avoid IR if possible. Get decent cameras with a big sensor and good low light performance, then you can avoid all of the issues with IR illuminators.

You want to avoid IR if possible. Get decent cameras with a big sensor and good low light performance, then you can avoid all of the issues with IR illuminators.

Thanks for the post aptsys - do you have any recommendation of cameras - probably best to go on what others have tried and tested in the field and are satisfied with.

I would only recommend some of the premium end cameras, but home gamers can sometimes find bargains on ebay for slightly out of date models. I have Axis P3225 cameras on my own house, but Samsung, Panasonic, Sanyo etc all make decent cameras that offer WDR and good low light performance.

Personally I would look at Hikvision Tvi cameras rather than IP. They cost at least 50% less and produce the same results. Yes the install is not as “clean” as a power supply is required for the cameras but value wise you cannot go wrong.

STOP THE PRESS! - It now appears POC power over coax is widely available so a psu is no longer required for Tvi cameras. How quickly things change in the world of cctv!

The way i it see anything over 1080p is an unnecessary luxury. Fine if you are prepared to pay for higher pixel numbers but to no real advantage. After-all you are likely to be viewing the cctv images on a monitor with a max resolution of 1080p so the only gain of higher megapixel images is if you zoom in.

Tvi POC 7 camera system

Recording Resolution - 1080p
Frame Rate 15fps
Recording mode - Continuous
Days required - 31 (presume the premises is selling alcohol)
Encoder
H265 - 4Tb required

DS-2CE56D8T-ITME x7 approx £385
DS-7208HQHI-K2/P approx £250
4Tb WP Hard Drive approx £100
RG59 Cable 100m x 3 approx £120
RG59 connectors x 15 approx £15
RG59 Crimp Tool approx £25

I presume you already have the step ladders, power tools and fixings?

Total £895

IP 8Mp 7 camera system

Recording Resolution - 4k 3840x2160
Frame Rate 15fps
Recording mode - Continuous
Days required - 31 (presume the premises is selling alcohol)
Encoder
H265 - 10Tb required

DS-2CD2385FWD-I x7 approx £1400
DS-7608NI-K2/8P approx £250
6Tb WP Hard Drive x2 approx £400
Box cat5e cable approx £60
Cat5e connectors approx £15
Cat5e crimp tool approx £25

I presume you already have the step ladders, power tools and fixings?

Total £2150

All of the above prices are based on freely available trade account prices online. Hikvision are supposedly no longer selling their products to the general public but to trade only. However most of the Hikvision re-sellers allow you to open a "trade" account no problem. These "trade" accounts are not true trade accounts though and maybe this is the trick being played by Hikvision. A true trade seller Hikvision account would again reduce these prices by around 50%. Trouble is unless you know someone without a true trade account you have to pay the online "trade" prices. Shopping around and the price can be reduces(and increased o_O) but it just goes to show £500 aint gonna get you very far. The 8 megapixel option is clearly a very expensive option and does not give value for money in my opinion.

However if your budget allows for it then it would obliviously be a better choice.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back