putting in cctv?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
I want to put a cctv camera at front door possibly 1 at the back door of a house?
problem is I don't know much about installing them.
do I need to run rg59 shot gun cable from tv area to outside camera points and if so do cameras come with a lead already fitted?
also how and were do I connect the cable, inside house or outside ?

Sponsored Links
Don't forget there are laws governing CCTV camera coverage of public areas so if you do fit cameras be carefull where you point them.. Especially if you are recording the images

There are acts that cover the use of cctv in public places but domestic property's and installations are largly excempt from the dpa. The only major thing i would be worried about (ie my own system) would be if a neighbour takes offence to your cameras. If they can be argued to be a nuisance the courts can force you to remove them, so get everyone on board.
Its to stop you pointing camera at your neighbours purely to annoy.

The are various guides on the internet about the use of cctv and the dpa.

Sponsored Links
There are acts that cover the use of cctv in public places but domestic property's and installations are largly excempt from the dpa. The only major thing i would be worried about (ie my own system) would be if a neighbour takes offence to your cameras. If they can be argued to be a nuisance the courts can force you to remove them, so get everyone on board.
Its to stop you pointing camera at your neighbours purely to annoy.

The are various guides on the internet about the use of cctv and the dpa.
my house is in the country neighbour quite far away, also camera would be pointing at front door!
no one has actually answered my question on how to install.
thanks to everyone for input though :D

afaict all but the really low end or really covert cameras will have a BNC for video and some other kind of connectors for power and if present audio. I would suggest finding the cameras you are consider on the manufacturers websites and downloading the manuals to find out what kind of wiring they need.

If you just want a front door camera then almost anything will do.
Connecting up is simply a matter of connecting a power supply and running a coax cable to where you want to monitor the picture. CCTV cameras have what is called a composite video output that will feed any monitor designed for the task, or the scart socket of a domestic TV or video recording apparatus.

Check out the Internet auction sites, a search for CCTV cameras will result in hundreds of hits.

If you just want a front door camera then almost anything will do.
Connecting up is simply a matter of connecting a power supply and running a coax cable to where you want to monitor the picture. CCTV cameras have what is called a composite video output that will feed any monitor designed for the task, or the scart socket of a domestic TV or video recording apparatus.

Check out the Internet auction sites, a search for CCTV cameras will result in hundreds of hits.
yes

I want to install a half descent camera, the house is a new build so I want to put in cable before plaster boarding.
Thats why I mentioned the rg59 shot gun cable.
I'm not sure if I should leave the cable hanging were the camera will go outside (connecting with a junction box)or if I should leave it inside (junction box) I want to keep it looking tidy outside!
Or would I even need a junction box?

you really need to decide on your cameras first
Any suggestions or links?
I do like the domes but can't get installation info on them(if they come with attached lead already or wot), get specs ok.

Thanks for you input :D

What is your budget for the camera system?

Are you wanting to record the images, or just view them live on your TV?

On a new build I Install the cables ( for short runs the video coax need not be super duper quality) and leave tails hanging out of the wall ( or roof ) An exterior dome will do the job, or one of the day/night types with the infra red leds will give you black and white images in the dark.

There are so many cameras about that advice is very difficult to give.
The more you pay the better you get IMHO.

If its just for live use through a tv then i personally wouldnt spend a load of money on high quality camera, this is only needed if recording, this sort of application is basic video access control.
There are plenty of half decent economy cameras like listed above but few pro cameras will have audio. For a diy job then as pointed out argos / b&q will have the sort of stuff you plug together, just dont expect miracles from it.

What is your budget for the camera system?

Are you wanting to record the images, or just view them live on your TV?
no particular budget I want a half descent camera with night vision and just to view on my tv. see whos at front door or lurking :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back