Wiring up CCTV cameras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm having some work done on my house at the moment and thought I'd take the opportunity to leave some wires for future connection of CCTV cameras. I have a couple of questions

1) In my loft will be a splitter/amp that connects to my aerial and then splits the signal to my TVs. How do I connect up the cameras to allow me to then view the CCTV on these TVs? Is it somehow via this same TV splitter/amp box?

2) What sort of cable to cameras use for power?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
To connect cameras to the TV system in the house you will need a modulator to convert the video signal to a Radio Frequency (RF) If there is one camera it will come from just the one or multiples of camera ie 1 modulator for each camera. Or if you have a DVR which can have multiple cameras you can have 1 modulator to convert the video signal from the DVR to RF ans have the 4 pics/9 pics etc broadcast around your TV system.

like this
RF-MOD.jpg

Low voltage cameras I would normally use CAT5 as if control for PTZ is ever required in the future it is in and also If IP cameras etc etc etc. And RG59 cable is the coax camera cable required if using that type of camera.

So it all depends what type of system but RG59 and Cat5 to a central point would cover most future needs.

Also If you are just putting wires in for now and you buy a box of CAT5 then I would chuck some in for DATA points around the house as you may have spare cable left over.

Rob[/img]

Thanks Rob, just to be sure I have understood can I recap what you have said

1) From each camera run a coax and cat5 to my loft. Leave the wires right next to the amp/splitter I will be using for TVs. When needed I can connect all these wires to my DVR (which will be in the same place as the TV aerial signal splitter) and then use a modulator to connect the output from the DVR to my splitter.

So

Cameras via coax/cat5 > DVR > modulator> TV aerial splitter> cctv pics on all my TVs

2) How do most people wire up the cameras for power? I see most need an 9v?12v? adaptor. Do most people try and run these all to one central point or into the individual rooms outside which the cameras are mounted (domestic setting)
Thanks for your help

The recap is fine for the wiring. CPC.co.uk is a great place to buy all the connectors cheaply (BNC tiwst or crim types). Maplin charge an arm and a leg.

When I install cameras on a big site I would generally try to power the cameras from a power supply situated localy to reduce problems from volt drop etc. But if you live in a failrly standard size house I would power them from a central location as if you do have a volt drop issue then you could double up the conductors in the cat 5 to reduce the impedance of the cable run. I would also go for one power supply rather than having several plugtop power supplies. elmdene make some reasonable priced psu's. Once you select you cameras check what current they will draw. Say they were 350mA rated and you had 4 cameras the current draw would be up to 1.4Amps so I would go for a 2A supply.

hope that helps

Regards

Rob

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back