putting in cctv?

no particular budget

I don't believe you :eek:

Are you willing to spend £50? £500? £5,000?

I bet you know which figure is about right.

Sponsored Links
On a new build I Install the cables ( for short runs the video coax need not be super duper quality) and leave tails hanging out of the wall ( or roof ) An exterior dome will do the job, or one of the day/night types with the infra red leds will give you black and white images in the dark.

There are so many cameras about that advice is very difficult to give.
The more you pay the better you get IMHO.
does that mean I a junction box outside, I want to make it look neat and tidy, just the camera if possible (do the cameras come with a length of cable already attached?)
thanks for your time and input ;)

In my last house i used one of those cheap micromark b/w cameras, hid it in a wall plant pot. Work great if you just want to see who's at the door.

Sponsored Links
On a new build I Install the cables ( for short runs the video coax need not be super duper quality) and leave tails hanging out of the wall ( or roof ) An exterior dome will do the job, or one of the day/night types with the infra red leds will give you black and white images in the dark.

does that mean I a junction box outside, I want to make it look neat and tidy, just the camera if possible (do the cameras come with a length of cable already attached?)

Dome cameras have the connections inside the dome as a general rule and are mounted so the wires enter the base of the unit so are not visible at all once the top is on.

Other types of weatherproof cameras have two leads ( power and video ) coming out of the casing and have plugs/sockets for connections.

A search on any of the Internet auction sites for CCTV cameras will produce dozens of results.

Dome cameras have the connections inside the dome as a general rule and are mounted so the wires enter the base of the unit so are not visible at all once the top is on.

Other types of weatherproof cameras have two leads ( power and video ) coming out of the casing and have plugs/sockets for connections.

A search on any of the Internet auction sites for CCTV cameras will produce dozens of results.
thanks for all your help, its appreciated :)

I have 2 motorised systems on my house - one large on the main chimney stack and another on the rear abutment. There are 7 more static cameras, 3 on the front, 1 front door, 2 for left and right, the others covering the yard, garden, shed, car.

No-one has ever complained, they all say they feel safer knowing that they are there. The police have even been impressed about the quality and zoom of the main cameras. A Detective came round to even ask if I have seen any going on with a local drug-dealer, but couldnt use the recordings as evidence as it would involve me in the equations.

Its not a bad area really ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back