CAT 5?

D

DAJ

I wish to connect a 10" secondary touchscreen monitor about 10m away from the computer. The intention being to use it, fixed in the wall, as a remote control for operating WMC. The monitor is fed by 2 USB (2 to 1 branch) leads. I've had it all up and running great. BUT as soon as I attempt to use the monitor with the 10m USB repeater leads, NOTHING !

I've been told that the USB repeaters are for printers etc. and are no good for the amount of data I wish to travel down the leads. I've checked it out on the www as best I could and was wondering if cat 5 converters each end would do the trick. That is to say, a USB to CAT 5 transmitter at the computer end and a CAT 5 to USB receiver at the monitor end linked with 10m CAT 5 cable. Can anyone confirm this would work?

Sponsored Links
Well, maybe.

The usb repeaters, self powered, are often borderline. Can you not fit a normal £5 powered usb hub at the 5m mark? If there's no powered sockets handy, extend the low voltage feed into the hub and tape it along the first usb lead. Even if it's a bit ugly, you can get smaller ones, or novelty ones that you can pretend are part of the furniture...

The remote USB hubs running off cat5 are often low bandwidth only. (I have one for a remote PABX - works fine for that, but not for a webcam). If you go this route be sure to do your research thoroughly first.

I've not used a touch screen monitor (I guess you have reasons for not using a normal infra red remote control?) - but if they're fed with VGA then there is the option of cat5-vga baluns too.

• Thanks
Reactions: DAJ
Sponsored Links
Back