Help my PC wont copy large files to my new SSD drive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am having problems backing up to my new Samsung 500GB SSD drive. I am using it externally on a USB3 lead with the drive being inside a dedicated SSD drive case. It works fine to access but backing up seems to lock up after a few seconds if I select anything bigger than small files. It will start to copy the files and then lock up if I select a folder with many files in it.

A few years ago I replaced my old C: drive with a Samsung SSD 250GB drive and used my old C: drive to store any work or pictures so the C: drive now has only programs on it. This seemed to make a vast improvement in speed for me. The old C: drive which now holds my files is a 600GB, I can’t remember the make but it was something well known like a Seagate etc.

So now I have:-

C: Samsung SSD 250GB
H: Old Call it Seagate 600GB
P: new Samsung SSD 500GB external dive

I Googled my problem a little and I suspected a USB mismatch but have not got very far at all.

It advised to open Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device manager to see what USB version my PC has but although it opens a big list it does not give me the USB version I have, at least not that I can see.

I’m using Windows 10 on a Medion Quad core i7 chip PC.

I’ve tried plugging the USB from the drive into the 2 ports on the front of my PC and the ones on the back and the ones on my monitors, with the same result every time.

Please help somebody, what should I do.

device-manger-usb.100942

Sponsored Links
I am not a pic expert- I use Mac and I am no expert on that either

Look at the formatting of the drive, some formats limit the file size

Like above is it formatted as fat/fat32? This will limit total file size which can be copied in one go.

It didnt seem to need formatting so I did not format it but its not 32 its NTFS. It selected that when I set it up to be recognised, ie when you first get it and plug it in the PC doesnt see it until you do something in Disk Managment, have I mucked up there somewhere?

It is in there as Portable drive 500GB (P
smile.gif
465.76 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)

I noticed the other drives say Active but this one doesnt, should I change that?

Sponsored Links
Go to file explorer, click on this PC, right click on the C drive, and then check the properties to see what the file format is; then do the same for the the other drives. The Samnsung drive will very likely be NTFS, but the SSDs may be fat32. USB should be backwards compatible, and very likely, you'll have USB2 on the computer, and USB3 on the 500gb back up drive; try swapping to another port as a first step, and then consider formatting the drive so that it matches the D drive as the net option.

Back