Cat 5E for sky

has

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
has anyone heard of a way that 1 sky dish can be incorporated to distribute to possibly 6 different households using CAT5 cabling. I have a customer (barn conversions) who has been to an open day where he has seen this. Unfortunately its hundreds of miles from me so no chance off a visit. I think he must have his wires crossed so to speak as I can not think of a way this would work. I know you can change the LNB etc but not for different households, just thought I would throw it to you lot in case I am wrong.
many thanks.

Sponsored Links
cat5? for sky? why?

1. co-ax is more durable
2. co-ax carries the signal perfectly well.

Get him a multi-LNB on 2 dishes (max 4 on each i think) and run co-ax to each flat/house.

i dont think you can use cat5. it should be sat cable to keep the signal quality

you will need a different LNB aswell. i think you can have upto 4 output on 1 tho so for 5 houses you would probably need 2 dishes.

has said:
I have a customer (barn conversions) who has been to an open day where he has seen this.

Ask him the details and you could then take further action. If he is interested in the system then I would be sure that he has all details.

Sponsored Links
I know technology is moving fast and things can be done through a digital bus system.

Are you doing yourself ?
if you need a specilist try this company
In Touch Technologies and speak to Chris White tel. 0845 644 2401

A quad LNB will supply upto four houses.

A QUADRO (spelling not good this morning) will supply as many as you like, via a muliplex switcher.

I have seen some blurb on running it on cat5, but to me, seems stupid. Run cat5 in, but use it for phones and IT only.

First time I've heard cat5 with sky but unless there are newer sky digiboxes available that allows cat5 connections.

I know alot of places have installed cat5 CCTV were all the cameras use cat5 which the picture can be recieved anywhere on a computer network.

If cat5 capable receivers are available they could be used in a similar way to receive sky at various workstations on a network.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back