Digital, Sky+, CCTV home distribution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advice to achieve this and ensure that the best signal is maintained.

Initially I want to distribute digital around the house, and Sky+. The Sky+ box will be in our living room as this is where the 2 cables come in from the LNB. The LNB cables will not be attached to the distribution unit. I will then use the RF2 to distribute Sky around the house.

At some point in the future I would also like to include a cctv feed as well.

I was thinking about using a Labgear 8-way Home Distribution Unit to accomplish this. In addition I will also be routing Cat5e.

Does this sound about right?
Is there a better method?

Thanks

TLE

Sponsored Links
There's always "better" methods but it all depends on your budget. The RF distribution route is the cheapest solution and a lot of people are perfectly happy with the quality.

Thanks for the reply Chris, what other methods are there?

If I was to go down the RF route, is what I am suggesting ok? Any advice or sources of info to look at for advice?

Thanks

Michael.

I'm not going to go in to full chapter and verse, so I'll just paint some big pics instead

For picture quality RF and Composite video are bottom of the ladder. RGB from SCART is much better but difficult to distribute and somewhat dated. The future is digital. HDMI is the new SCART.

Distributing HDMI involves getting a HDMI signal in the first place (change your +plus box to a HD box; no change in subscription cost, just a HDMI socket as well as SCART) and then sending that in to a multiway HDMI amplifier. This will work on cable runs up to 20m and should handle 1080i from the free-to-view HD channels as well.

Longer distances may require the use of CAT5/CAT6 cable and HDMI baluns to convert HDMI to a signal that can travel longer distances over network cable. This use of CAT cable is a replacement for a direct point-to-point cable. It is not something that can be put in to a router and sent everywhere. That's IP. It's something different. The two - IP and CAT baluns - don't mix. You need to run separate CAT cable for each system and keep the signals apart.

With a simple system like this you would still run an RF distribution system as well for Freeview, and it might as well be used for Sky eyes to control the Sky box.

So far the above both deal with distributing one source. But what happens when you want to add an extra source? - CCTV in your case. You either have a second distribution system which then becomes messy and complicated, or you change the head-end distribution box for a matrix switcher. This will take several sources and let you send the signals to one, some or all displays independently. Your CCTV source needs either a direct HDMI output or a box to convert its video signal in to HDMI, but that's about all.

The ultimate is an IP distribution system. Here all the source signals are converted to data packets. The signals are then distributed like computer network signals. Boxes at the TV end decode the signal back in to something the TV can understand via a HDMI or other conventional AV connector.

The benefits of all these larger distribution systems come in to play when all the source gear moves out from the living room in in to an AV rack somewhere. This is a big step though. It means having a structured wiring plan and moving away from physical media - discs and such - to digital media storage. Companies like mine install this kind of gear generally as part of a whole house system either in new build or major refurb projects.

Sponsored Links
You say you want to distribute "digital around the house". Please note that the modulated RF and Scart composite signals are analogue and require a TV with an analogue tuner in order to view them.

A Loft Box provides the simplest way to combine an RF output signal (analogue, mono audio) with a Freeview aerial signal (digital) and a CCTV camera source (modulated RF, with or without mono audio).

How does a Loft Box work?
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lofthelp.htm

Thanks for the advice guys, IP would be ideal as I know IPv4 like the back of my hand, but over the top for what we need.

Here is what I am thinking after doing some research last night.

Sky+ HD box moved into the loft
Loftbox to distribute Freeview and combine magic eye to each room using WF100.

Then either:
1 x 4 HDMI Splitter http://www.hdconnectivity.com/splitters/1x4-hdmi-splitter.html

and use these Activewire HDMI cables http://www.hdconnectivity.com/hd-cable/hdmi-cable-activewire.html
Has anybody used these? Are they any good?

or:
Sky+HD Pack HDanywhere 1x4 HDMI over Cat5 Splitter http://www.hdconnectivity.com/splitters/1x4-hdmi-over-cat5-splitter-multiroom-hd-sky-remote.html
I can then do cat5e or cat6 drops into each room requiring a feed.

As far as cable length goes I think this would be certainly under 15m. So the method I go for depends on how easy it to drop HDMI cables between the walls. I suspect droping CAT5e\6 will be easier but we will see.

I am leaning towards the CAT solution to make it easier to add additional feeds at a later date as I already run my own servers for sharing media.

Thanks for the advice guys, am I heading in the right direction?

Only you know what'll work for you and your budget. One thing though, I wouldn't put any electronics in the loft unless it is a loft conversion. There are times when a Sky box needs to be reset by pulling the power. Also lofts goes through extreme temperature ranges. That's not good for gear, especially gear with hard drives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back