Cat 6 cable and RJ45

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I didn't want to post this in the computer hardware section because I don't know where my question belongs..

Anywho- a regular customer asked me to fit a network switch in the cupboard under his stairs.When he had the house re-wired last year he asked the electricians to run cat 6 shielded cable to each of the rooms.

I have only ever worked with cat5e previously.

Today was a mare, I kept finding that as I tried to feed the cables in to the the plastic Cat 6 plugs that he has, they would deform and the brown cable at the end would not feed in. I suspect that the gauge of the cable is a tad too fat for the plugs.

Below is a photo of the cable .

20200719_150304-1.jpg

I guess I need the shielded plugs with the insert, but would be happy to accept recommendations. The existing plugs are no good- I can't get the sleeve to push in and if I do the brown/white and brown keep distorting.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why not use a wall mounted patch panel/rack
A lot easier to terminate cables and use pre made patch leads to link from patch panel to switch.Screenshot_20200719-193611.png

Why not use a wall mounted patch panel/rack
A lot easier to terminate cables and use pre made patch leads to link from patch panel to switch.View attachment 199462

Thanks for the suggestion but the client already has the network switch and the electricians left the unterminated cables in the under stair area. I deffo need to use plugs.

I just assumed that it would be as straight forward as all of the cat5e cable/plugs that I had previously used. Now I release that I was wrong.

Not only do I want to save face, I want to ensure that I do the job properly. I fully accept that I am guilty of a lack of foresight on this occasion.

Not only do I want to save face, I want to ensure that I do the job properly

Then as suggested terminate the fixed cables to sockets on a patch panel. This involves 8 "punch down" connections per cable. ( use a proper metal tool and not a cheap plastic one ). Less than a minute per cable.

The fixed wiring then remains fixed and no longer at the mercy of being moved around when alterations have to be made,. If the cable is CCA ( Copper Coated Aluminium ) it will not survive for long if not fixed and immobilised.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned, use some sort of termination for the fixed cable and then buy a short patch cable to connect to the switch, that will ensure your using a flexible cable in the right place, and the rigid cable stays still. Something like this would also do:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-rj45-cat5e-module-outlet-kit-double/34584
These are much easier to terminate being a punch down style and designed for what your doing.

Thanks guys.

I don't think the customer will be happy if I fit loads of surface mounted boxes and then have a whole lots of leads running out of them.

I do however appreciate your collective responses. After some (novice) research, I think I need to order the shielded plugs with the cable guiding inserts (ie 2 part). I am however willing to accept further advice from anyone that has worked with thick gauge shielded cat6.I would rather just put the RJ45s on and sign off.

I do appreciate the responses thus far though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back