What type of CAT cable for network socket for TV?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I will soon lift out some floorboards in the lounge, I thought about running a network cable to the TV. The more I read about networks, the more I get confused about what cables do I need: "patch" (is that the same as UTP?) or "cross-over"?

Basically, I would like to install a CAT RJ45 socket next to the TV. This socket I would like to connect to another socket next to the router. Could someone help me and tell me what cable I need to bury under the floor to connect these two sockets?

And are there any kits out there that have sockets and the cable?

Sponsored Links
tell me what cable I need to bury under the floor to connect these two sockets?

You need Cat5e UTP solid core cable, not stranded (patch) cable. Also, make sure the seller/manufacturer states that it is solid/pure copper and not cheap CCA or CCS (copper clad aluminium/steel).

Then, at each end, you need a short patch cable to plug into the new sockets.

And are there any kits out there that have sockets and the cable?

A kit is not the best idea, choose the sockets you want to match your existing power/aerial/phone/etc sockets, especially if they are fancy ones.

Always run more cables than you think you are going to need! This avoids needing a switch/hub behind the TV when you realise you should have run in more than one!!

Gaz :)

Great, thanks a lot.
So you think I should fit not just a 1-Gang socket but more?

What equipment do you have with the TV? Set top boxes? Games console? NowTV/Kodi/similar streaming thing?

If there is anything there which is already using Wifi, but does have an ethernet port also, then switch them over to a wired connection while you have the chance to with the floorboards up.

Sponsored Links
At the moment only a NowTV box, but I got your point. Thanks!
One last question, do I need to run a separate cable for each socket? Somewhere I read something that suggest 2 gangs could share one cable.

do I need to run a separate cable for each socket?

You ought to run a separate cable for each one.

100 Meg connections only use two of the pairs in cat5e, so its possible to wire up a double faceplate using only one cable. In the future you may regret it though. Gigabit devices use all 4 pairs, as do PoE devices, HDMI extenders - all of which won't work with the splitter method.

Wiring up a double outlet as a splitter, or just using these crappy looking splitters (they work the exact same way)...

1.0x0.jpg

...is the bodge way of of doing it. Either run the extra cable while you have the chance, or just use a cheap 4 port switch where the TV is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back