RJ45 Network Socket Wiring - 568 A/B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am hoping this is the correct place to post this.

I understand that there are two main ways to wire RJ45 sockets - 568 A or B. And that B is the more common.

My electrician has wired all my sockets as 568A.
These all run to my loft and are as yet ununterminated and I plan to connect into a patch panel.

If I connect these to the patch panel as 568A, then I am assuming all will be OK? And that the actual connections are identical, it is just the colour are different (orange / green swapped).

And Can I use normal network cables to connect my 24 port switch to the patch panel using cables wire as either A or B - and the same for connecting devices to the sockets in the rooms? I believe most bought cables are wires as 568B. Certainly all the ones I have are.

So what I am really asking is does it really matter if my installed wiring is A or B as long as both ends are the same?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If I connect these to the patch panel as 568A, then I am assuming all will be OK?

Yep.

does it really matter if my installed wiring is A or B

No, it doesn't matter. What you've got will work just fine.

Can I use normal network cables to connect my 24 port switch to the patch panel using cables wire as either A or B - and the same for connecting devices to the sockets in the rooms?

Yes, fine also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back