Wiring advice: Master telephone socket and slave boxes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
In the progress of rewiring my home and I'm a bit confused (which is'nt difficult). I plan to move the point at where the telephone line enters the house to a location that will be in the same place as a server and switch for home network but also want to understand how/what I need to do for the telephone sockets. There will be no requirement for a phone in location of the server and switch.

I have seen master sockets with a built in adsl filter that have both the and RJ45 and telephone connector. So the RJ45 would go to the router no problem.
With regard to the phone lines (possibly 3) do these connect internally to a master socket or would I need some sort of junction box.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but never done anything with phone cabling (or home networking, or switches, or servers for that matter).

Would standard phone cable do or could I use cat 5e? I've seen wall boxes somewhere with internet and phone connectors. This might be an option but again, not sure how the wiring would work at the switch / master socket end?

Sincere thanks for any advice / guidance

Sponsored Links
re route master to router postion, fit adsl face plate to master, then wire secoundary sockets from pre filtered connection on the back of the adsl face plate ( all extensions now filtered) you can take all the phone sockets back to master or from socket to socket ( daisy chain) use bt cable. ive just rewired my new house and run cat 5 to all the rooms for later use e.g smart tvs, internet ( faster by cable) and so on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back