Cat flap in double glazed door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to fit a cat flap into a double glazed door, it would require the cutting of the glass. Searched the web and one place said yeah you can do it to an existing door, but another article found said no you cant do it to an existing door you would have to get a new door made with a hole for the cat flap. Any ideas ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
since the idea of double galzing is 2 pieces of glass separated by an air gap (some times argon too) then how do you propose to cut a hole and still maintain a seal?

True, my misses ensured me she had seen it on the web as possible :LOL:

anything is possible on the web.

But also note, i did not say you can't have a cat flap in a double glassed door, you just cant have it with a double glasssing unit, you can have single glass in the botom part of a dg door, or even a sheet of plastic metal ceramic stone cillit bang, bang (sorry got carried away) see here

Sponsored Links
You can get a doubled glazed unit with a cat flap in it. The two sheets have the hole cut out of them and then they are hermetically sealed as per usual including a seal around the cut-out. It cannot be done retrospectively though.

Yep, I've got one in a sliding patio door! Got a slimline, clear acrylic, flap and had a new sealed unit made with the hole preformed in it. Cost a few bob though!!

Measure your glass and take the measurements and your catflap to a local glazing co. and they'll sort it for you.

Symo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back