Double glazed unit - cat flap fitment

28 Feb 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom

Ive done a search but can not find the answer I need (if there is an answer) I'm after fitting a cat flap in a Double glazed unit. I understand I would need to replace the glass with a new one cut to size with the hole before its sealed..... etc.... but i'm told only a round hole can be cut in the toughened glass and my cat flap instructions require a square cut out...

The glass is approx 12" by 72" side light next to french doors...
Is it possible to have a shorter piece of glass put in the top so an in-fill plastic section can sit in the bottom with the cat lap cut out.... i.e is there a joiner/seal available to seal both the plastic and the new glass...?

I hope that makes sense??

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
ones i have seen the bottom half of the door is 100% plastic.
If you take the flap to a local glazier he should be able to cut a square hole with radius corners. then send the glass away to be tempered, it is virtually impossible to cut a square without machining as the cut runs off we have done several with radius corners with no problems. but must admit round are much easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links