Cat flap near edge in toughened double glazed panel?

13 Jan 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get a toughened double glazed unit made to replace a timber panel that's currently on the bottom half of my front door. I've approached a couple of local glaziers and they're telling me, due to the toughening, the flap needs to be 6" from the bottom of the glass.

The door frame is 8" at the bottom, so unless the cat can use stilts this isn't much use!
However, a quick google shows dozens of examples of flaps a couple of inches from the bottoms of the DG units.

Can anyone advise on how/where to get this done? Is laminated glass an option instead.
Sponsored Links
we have done them in toughened before 75from the bottom of the hole. They are correct in what they say and this is because there is more chance of the glass breaking when they toughen the glass if the hole is near the edge. You could ask them to take the chance and if it breaks you will pay for it.
The door frame is 8" at the bottom, so unless the cat can use stilts this isn't much use!

A lot of cats can manage considerably more than 14" jumping from windowsill through a top light.

Is a replacement timber or pvc panel an option instead of glass?
Sponsored Links
Owain - to explain, this cat's a beast (8kg...most are 4kg!) and the flap is going to be tight as it is. It wouldn't work at 14", trust me :D
There's a timber panel in just now but we want glass as the hall's pretty low on light.

God - I suppose, just don't want to pay through the nose for it. Can't be too tricky if they're all over google though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local