Cat Flap in Double glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, There is the possibility that my father in law might be living with us for a while in the near future; he has a 17 Year old cat that is still very lively and likes to go outside.
We live in a new build house (just over 2 years old), the back door is UVPC Double gazed top and bottom section, The front door is similar, but wooden frame, and we also have 12 double glazed panels in wooden frame next to the front door.

Questions:-

1) Is it possible to but cat flap in back door? If so, will it become single glass?
2) Is it a DIY novice task for above?
3) Same for removing 1 of the 12 double glazed panels and replace with cat flap (I guess they are approx 6"x6").

How easy to put back, if and when Father in law left?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
You will need to have a new unit made with hole pre cut, easy to fit just kkep the old unit to put back when needed

remove the glass store in a safe place
use a bit off exterior ply fully painted or a plastic panel with cat flap fitted

For the back door it would be cheaper to replace the bottom dgu with a flat white panel, a local DG company should sell you one cut to size, take it home and cut the hole yourself in the position you want.

The front door i'd do the same with some marine ply although its not that cheap :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks All :D

I think the 'Safest' thing for the cat, would be to put it in the back door, as that goes directly to Garden, front door and glazed units go to the street (although we live in a quiet close).
I will contact some companies and see how much.

Thanks Again

Steve

Or you could just let it out and let it in.

The cat wont mind having to wait by the door or this and when it wants to go out it will let you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back