Cat pee cure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought this might be useful to anyone who like my friend bought a house where previous owner was old lady with way too many cats. Carpets were chucked out but house still smelled in fact it honked. They tried numerous sprays that were supposed to use enzymes and other neutralizing agents and nothing worked. The smell was just masked. So in a kill or cure effort I suggested using pool PH reducer (from my chemical kit from kids above ground splash paddly pool) can be bought online and in diy stores.Upstairs was floor boards and downstairs was concrete slab. We mixed up warm water in mop bucket (half full) and added approx half a cup of reducer. Opened the windows and mopped the floors. As we were doing it the smell was going. It took about 5 mins to do each bedroom. Then we did down stairs. Just as fast. All windows were open to provide ventilation. The floors were left to dry. Smell has totally gone with no real effort. Floors have now been mopped with nice smelling household cleaner. We then went outside where the fake grass was also stinking. Mixed the reducer up in a watering can and it worked there too.They had spent a fortune at pet shop buying loads of products and they just didn't work. So if anyone else has the same problem this could save you time money and effort.

Sponsored Links
I used a few returns so that I could read it.

Yes a very good tip, lets hope that it's a permanent fix.

Thought this might be useful to anyone who like my friend bought a house where previous owner was old lady with way too many cats.
Carpets were chucked out but house still smelled in fact it honked. They tried numerous sprays that were supposed to use enzymes and other neutralizing agents and nothing worked.
The smell was just masked.

So in a kill or cure effort I suggested using pool PH reducer (from my chemical kit from kids above ground splash paddly pool) can be bought online and in diy stores.
Upstairs was floor boards and downstairs was concrete slab. We mixed up warm water in mop bucket (half full) and added approx half a cup of reducer. Opened the windows and mopped the floors.

As we were doing it the smell was going. It took about 5 mins to do each bedroom.

Then we did down stairs. Just as fast. All windows were open to provide ventilation. The floors were left to dry. Smell has totally gone with no real effort.
Floors have now been mopped with nice smelling household cleaner. We then went outside where the fake grass was also stinking. Mixed the reducer up in a watering can and it worked there too.

They had spent a fortune at pet shop buying loads of products and they just didn't work.
So if anyone else has the same problem this could save you time money and effort.

Sponsored Links
Yep the smell people associate with chlorine is actually the chlorine working on all the nasties in the water and producing chloramine. I didn’t use chlorine to get rid of cat pee smell. I used PH reducer. I can now confirm that the stench went away as we were mopping. And it has not returned. It’s a way cheaper solution than the stuff sold in pet stores. And way cheaper than getting a professional in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back