Cataract in expansion tank

Hey calculus , are you having a laugh???...jeez ... give it up man..

Sponsored Links
calculus , you've been busy :LOL:

I have, and hopefully learned a few plumbing secrets :cool:. My busyness stops here though; tomorrow this gets passed to the plumber. In my estimation water is the most terrifying substance known to man and I intend to go to my grave never having gone near a monkey wrench :cool:

Never assume anything.

The way to know is to see which boiler pipe is hotter at the boiler. It should be the designated flow pipe.

I come the same day to a fault.

The cold weather rush started three weeks ago. Now I can take a day or two to get to someone but mostly that is because they prefer to go to work rather than stay at home for me!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Never assume anything.

The way to know is to see which boiler pipe is hotter. It should be the designated flow pipe.

I come the same day to a fault.

The cold weather rush started three weeks ago. Now I can take a day or two to get to someone but mostly that is because they prefer to go to work rather than stay at home for me!

That's a surprise, I've never lived in London but I was under the impression professional tradesmen were very hard to get hold of...maybe I am out of date on that.

I googled 'designated flow pipe' but nothing came up. Which pipe is this, and what is the pipe it should be hotter than? And what does it indicate if it's cooler rather than hotter?

3 pages for a simple fault lol
I wish i could get away with selling customers a new pump "because it wont last the winter"

Bet the company comes back and says you need it flushing.

3 pages for a simple fault lol
I wish i could get away with selling customers a new pump "because it wont last the winter"

Bet the company comes back and says you need it flushing.
I'd be interested to hear your diagnosis...doesn't the magnet testing suggest the pipes need flushing (or replacing)?

You need to see the manual for the unidentified boiler you have and see which is the flow pipe!

Tony

You need to see the manual for the unidentified boiler you have and see which is the flow pipe!

Tony
Hi Tony, the boiler is an Ideal Classic FF250, top and bottom pictured below. Is it possible to tell me from these pics which pipe should be hotter than which other pipe?

Plumbing15.JPG

Plumbing16.JPG

Pipe on right is flow, and should be hotter than return on left.

Like the light switch!
It's definitely the other round! With the boiler audibly going, I can keep my hand comfortably on the right hand pipe but the left hand pipe is scorching hot. What does this mean?

I like the light switch too, though it probably should have been replaced at the last rewire.

Means that the pump is fitted backwards!

Stupid mistake by a careless person. But DP on this site has a high opinion of all RGIs so I don't know why they did it wrongly!

If I ever fit a pump, first I check before fitting but still check afterwards that it is correct at the boiler.

But then I come from an engineering background where everything was done properly!

Tony

Means that the pump is fitted backwards!

Stupid mistake by a careless person. But DP on this site has a high opinion of all RGIs so I don't know why they did it wrongly!

If I ever fit a pump, first I check before fitting but still check afterwards that it is correct at the boiler.

But then I come from an engineering background where everything was done properly!

Tony
Thanks very much for this Tony! It was quite a young person who did the job. I'm glad I delayed phoning now. I'll call the plumber tomorrow...I won't mention the deposits in the pipes until they've corrected their installation of the pump.

That should be done at no extra cost!

Interesting about age. I don't see being young as any excuse.

But I am aware that some young people are somewhat irresponsible!

Where I used to work they rather liked young people in some quite responsible practical jobs.

Tony

That should be done at no extra cost!

Interesting about age. I don't see being young as any excuse.

But I am aware that some young people are somewhat irresponsible!

Where I used to work they rather liked young people in some quite responsible practical jobs.

Tony

Yes we have recently heard all about their preferences for young people !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back