Catches for cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

In my house, there are lots of little cupboards here and there (like under the stairs, and where the electric meter is)

On all of these cupboards there is a catch to keep the door closed.

They look like this:
IMGP3418.jpg

Now unfortunatly one of them has been bashed at some point ant the bottom part has snapped off.
IMGP3417.jpg

Does anyone know where I could one of these from? I would like to try and get something which matches the rest.

The house was built in 1959, and I expect the catches are original to the house.

We also have some polished chrome catches in another part of the house in the same style which apper to be a later addition.

Sponsored Links
They were of their time, and made from die cast zinc alloy I think, so are liable to snap. I don't remember seeing any for sale and a quick look through internet hardware catalogues hasn't shown anything. You may find them in car boot sales or the like.

Otherwise, how about something like this? I realise it doesn't match.

And people had the cheek to complain abour my interior decor, christ :LOL:

I have a couple of them attached to some manky doors destined for the dump if you are interested.

I dont know what the facination was with random cupboards was in 50's houses, my parents is full of them.

Sponsored Links
Fear not! We have the decorators in at the moment removing the lovely decor :LOL:

I'd be ever so grateful if you don't mind saving them for me.

I'll gladly make a donation to behind the bar of the pub of your choice :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back