Catnic Steel Angle lintel - deflection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would you expect a catnic Ang 1500 single leaf steel lintel to show 4mm deflection at each end compared to centre?

Used to install in a 1100mm window aperture on external leaf. Concrete lintel already in place on internal leaf. 1920s semi, two floor plus loft space. Pitched clay tile roof. Brick cavity walls.

No lintel replaced when original timber framed windows replaced with uvpvc windows >10 years ago b4 I owned house.

Sponsored Links
Did you mean deflects in the middle rather than the ends?

All lintels deflect no matter what the load - the issue is how much deflection is acceptable.

Normally, deflection is measured relative to the span and the maximum deflection is usually taken as something like span/300 or thereabouts. So your deflection may not be that much out.

Having said that, as it is a retro-fit lintel, it will deflect slightly more than it would have had it been built-in with the wall as a whole. This is because it will be supporting a slightly greater weight of brickwork.

Yes, if you put a straight edge up against the underside of the installed lintel, where it is visible from the outside, it shows a bow in the horizontal plane.

With gaps of approx 4mm at either end compared to the centre "bow" using the straight edge.

I suppose I was also surprised how light weight the lintel looked.

Would it be better practice to install only the soldier and maybe one horizontal course course above the lintel and allow mortar to harden before building up anything above? Or would that be worse in leaving it susceptible to further flex at a latter stage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back