Caught between a rock and an asbestos place?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a crazy situation in a 1960s above-garage extension in a house I've recently bought.

It seems that the lighting circuit was wired without an earth (not uncommon back then I understand), but at the same time the lighting fitments are metal-framed! Obviously not meeting safety regs.

So I've bought a double-insulated light fitting, but when I've taken the old light off the ceiling, I've had a terrible thought, that the ceiling might be Asbestos Insulating Board... And I need to drill at least 1 hole to be able to attach the new light fitting!

I could send a sample off to a lab, but I wondered whether anyone could please have a look at the photo and tell me if they think it could be AIB? It seems to have a pink/orange colour which suggests fireproof, would all fireproof ceiling panels back then have been asbestos-containing? I've used a screwdriver to give it a firm 'poke' and it only goes in less than 1mm.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• PXL_20220319_151121125.jpg
    PXL_20220319_151121125.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
If you only need to drill 1 hole wear a mask, googles and get some one to hold a hoover nozzle as you do it and just get it done, the risk from one small hole drilled with care is minimal

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Removing an entire ceiling of AIB, when it's actually the internal side of the flat roof of the extension, would cost thousands. I was just trying to see if there's a safe way of doing a couple of small holes without spending huge money.

Drilling through foam (I heard elsewhere you can use putty as well?) seems a reasonable solution, I have some PP3 masks so can use those too.

I might be able to just use self-tapping screws, so no need for drilling at all maybe?? I suppose it depends on the weight of the fitting, it's not heavy but not super-light either. Do self-tapping screws usually have a datasheet showing the weight they can support?

Piece of ply and a tube of building adhesive.
Bond the ply to your building with no need to drill?
Possibly apply some varnish type stuff to seal the original material and stuff dust flaking off

Thanks Tigercubrider, so you mean a piece of ply thick enough to take a screw without going into the ceiling? That's a good idea. Obviously it would mean a little 'projection' of the light fitting into the room, but if painted white it would probably look OK.

Have you ever done this before? How can you be sure an adhesive will support the weight of the ply and the light fitting?

Last edited:
What I meant was, it sticks like **** to a blanket.
Applied properly, the ply will outlive the rest of the ceiling.

I drilled asbestos and its very hard. Wasn't very thick either at about 5mm.
Ive mentioned before and I don't have a telephone number but a company in Yorkshire that advertises on Facebook charged £550 for asbestos garage roof removal and took it away vs the next best price of £2000. Took 2 hours. They travel all over UK and we are south. The following day guys were in Scotland. That's some miles

Thanks yes I saw the HSE guidance, which suggests that minor works on AIB for < 1 hour are legal without a licence.

I think the idea of the ply is a good one, I will go for that and see if I can buy a small section of 18mm ply, without needing to get a massive 2.4m board!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back