Caulk between double sided tape and glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi should you caulk around the inside of a wooden frame? I have fitted a new glass unit with security tape but should I also seal it inside? I was looking for rubber sealing same as you see on PVC. Just concerned that air can get in thru the tape join?

Pic attached, can I caulk all round top of tape for extra heat loss prevention.
Thanks
S

Attachments

• chaulk.jpg
    chaulk.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 262
Sponsored Links
Yea its old wood frame pressed into double sided security tape, its stuck solid and tape was recommended over silicone or putty.

If your bottom bead has Packers under it, raising it up a few mm then no , it is a dry glazing system but if your beads all sit flush to the rebate then it is good practice to fill the void between the sealed unit and frame with Low Modulus Clear Silicone ( must be Low Modulus or it will eat away at sealed unit sealant),

Sponsored Links
The unit is flush with external beading...so can I use the Low Modulus Clear Silicone on the inside too? so basically on top of the double sided tape as shown in the pic or is it ok to leave it as is?
thanks

IMG_20191121_141827.jpg
Yes you could use clear silicone both sides.
Have a look at the attachment . A sheet we provide when glazing into wood.

thanks for this man appreciate it...so when glass fitted I go around the gaps with the silicone, so externally we get frame edges - silicone - tape. Internally I would need to silicone between glass and frame so in effect on top of the internal tape all way around. That sound right? Thanks again man helping me here :)

You could go over the tape internally but ideally you shouldn't need to , we only do when small gaps have appeared from where we've chipped putty out ( thankfully doesn't happen too often these days , as not many puttied in sealed units are left!).

My suggestion would be in a simplified form , tape on rebate internally, Packers then sealed unit, apply tape to the sealed unit ( approx where beads are going to touch the glass , don't worry if overlaps edge of beading , sharp Stanley blade will sort that ). Don't remove backing tape yet....clear silicone all the way round unit , as shown in that leaflet, so there is no visible gap between the wood and the sealed unit, now remove the backing tape and apply beading ( pinning in with sheradised pins ). Cut of excess tape showing, seal round where beading touches glass if visible gaps.
Reason for not peeling backing tape off till after silicone is if you get silicone on the sticky tape , it just won't stick!

Hope that helps

Sony about this just a quickie, the DG unit is 12mil spacer and 4mm glass either side (total 20mm), is this sufficient for homes? or should I go with bigger spacer? thanks again.

That's fine but if you can get a bigger unit in , the bigger airgap will offer marginally better sound and insulative qualities

Agh right so better with wider spacer but 4mm glass ok either side. I have noticed noise not great with the 12mm spacer, next on I will use a 15mm spacer.
Thanks again

Hi Ronnie,

With regards to the Low Modulus Clear Silicone, if I have brown window frames would you go for a brown instead of clear?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back