untidy glazing seal in old wooden door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had new glazing fitted in the front door and it's surround. The joins between the glass and the wooden frames are uneven and bumpy. Should I use caulk, then paint over it, or wood filler? Glazing sealant?
Thanks for your advice

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_134823.jpg
    IMG_20200329_134823.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20200329_134833.jpg
    IMG_20200329_134833.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_20200329_134852.jpg
    IMG_20200329_134852.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 285
Sponsored Links
is the door exposed to weather, especially rain?

can you photograph the inside please. If there is wooden beading, is it nailed or screwed?

Thanks for your reply. The inside has putty (done quite badly. It took days to harden after the guy did it and my kids stuck their fingers on it.) There is no beading. The door isn't exposed to rain as it's sheltered - see pics
IMG_20200329_145323.jpg
IMG_20200329_145340.jpg
View attachment 187153

Sadly it was fitted by a bodger who doesn't know how to putty in glass.

The paint is chipped and it will be easier to smooth and paint it without the glass.

If you are handy, you could take it out and do it again properly.

there is a modest skilll to using a putty knife, I can do it, but I'd suggest you scrape off all the putty, sand the wooden rebate smooth and paint it, fit glazing tape (this is a plastic foam tape, thick enough to absorb slight irregularities, sticky on both sides, very very strong adhesive which will defeat burglars), fit the glass and retain it with quarter-round or square wooden beading on the inside only, painted to match the inside face of the door, and retaine with small brads or very small brass or stainless screws (the special tape will actually hold the glass securely, the beading in that case is just for appearance).

Or you could reglaze it using glazing compound, which is a sort of modern selant, I think it is acrylic based.

An older builder or carpenter would know how do do it properly. Putty is no longer in common use.

Sponsored Links
Hi Chabby, first of all the glass should have been pinned into place the old fashioned way and that’s why we then used putty to form the bead around the glass, like JohnD said sadly that probably won’t be the case here. However the exterior simply needs rubbing down and caulking, the interior really wants rebeading with wood. The front door is stunning and I can see why you have enhanced it with satin looking glass, quite beautiful.

Thanks v much, I'll rub down and caulk the exterior. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back