Caulk shining through under paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
7C682947-3C49-4D97-A273-AFC9DB751DAA.jpeg
Hi I was wondering if you could offer some expertise on an issue I have with painting... so I recently re painted our living room, using Dulux Matt emulsion white paint. I did all the usual prepping (eg clean walls, sanding etc). However one key mistake I made, like an idiot, was to use caulk on some cracks in the wall, rather than something like polyfilla. Now I’ve applied three coats and the caulk is still shining through the paint. I’ve tried using hardcore primer on the cracks over the caulk (Zinsser primer), but still the caulk is visible - presumably due to different texture (see photo above).

What do you think I could do to hide this minor imperfections? Eg I’ve considered decorators tape as that would be the easiest option - i want to avoid redoing the whole wall!

Any advice would be massively appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Most of the caulking ive used wont sand and needs to be smoothed before it cures so suspect as this is shiny, not the sanding type?...instructions are on the tube if its sandable

Yep, this is the same with mine. Very tough to sand down completely. I don’t mind the slightly raised bump where the caulk is, but it’s the colour contrast.

Sponsored Links
Can it be taken off the walls using a very sharp scraper at an acute angle? Any damage to the wall can be repaired with a fine filler. Not sure of the area you're dealing with.

Can it be taken off the walls using a very sharp scraper at an acute angle? Any damage to the wall can be repaired with a fine filler. Not sure of the area you're dealing with.

Thanks for the advice! I actually started doing this this morning. Just scraped the caulk off, have now filled it with polyfilla (not with caulk this time haha). Waiting for it to dry - next step is to sand and then prime/paint! Will keep you updated...

Might now need a few coats on that section to make the texture consistant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back