Caulking Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've got lots of caulking to do. And I'm struggling abit I've watched loads of videos and tips and even brought an expensive gun hoping that would make a difference but its not. I try to apply steadily and it either comes out to quick or misses gaps when applying. I try the wiping with soapy finger after and it just squeezes up the wall and skirting what am I doing wrong? I've used soudal and caulkonce. Don't really want to use tape if I don't have too I just want to be able to apply a steady thin bead and not make a mess.
Any help please

Sponsored Links
I now always use masking tape on both sides of the gap. Then apply a thin bead - it can always be topped up later.
Soapy finger, or a profiling tool, and remove the tape :)

I tape all four sides. I bought bulk 20 years ago and not worried about the cost. Alternative is paint over the caulk that went up the wall.

Last edited:
Hi I've got lots of caulking to do. And I'm struggling abit I've watched loads of videos and tips and even brought an expensive gun hoping that would make a difference but its not. I try to apply steadily and it either comes out to quick or misses gaps when applying. I try the wiping with soapy finger after and it just squeezes up the wall and skirting what am I doing wrong? I've used soudal and caulkonce. Don't really want to use tape if I don't have too I just want to be able to apply a steady thin bead and not make a mess.
Any help please

When you say that you purchased an expensive gun, it leaves me wondering if you purchased a high thrust ratio gun. They are often about £20+.

eg https://www.toolstation.com/cox-powerflow-caulking-gun/p66651?

I have one but only use it for very thick materials. For caulk and silicone, I use one of these Cox Easyflow, the high thrust ratio guns dispense the thinner materials too quickly.

When working with caulk, I just dip my finger in a tub of water, no need for soapy water. With silicone, yes, use soapy water. Light pressure when smoothing

It sounds like you are applying far more caulk than you need to. Out of interest are you cutting the tip of the nozzle at 45 degrees. Ideally, the size of the opening should be close to the size of the bead you want to dispense.

I have used both the Soudal and Everbuild Caulk Once, I personally don't like either. My caulk of choice is the Everbuild 125. Toolstation used to sell it but now sell the Caulk Once (at a higher price). I found that both of the ones that you have tried used to "rip" at the edges when you try to smooth them. I currently pay about £1.20 per tube incl delivery if I buy a box of 12 tubes of 125 caulk

Sponsored Links
When you say that you purchased an expensive gun, it leaves me wondering if you purchased a high thrust ratio gun. They are often about £20+.

eg https://www.toolstation.com/cox-powerflow-caulking-gun/p66651?

I have one but only use it for very thick materials. For caulk and silicone, I use one of these Cox Easyflow, the high thrust ratio guns dispense the thinner materials too quickly.

When working with caulk, I just dip my finger in a tub of water, no need for soapy water. With silicone, yes, use soapy water. Light pressure when smoothing

It sounds like you are applying far more caulk than you need to. Out of interest are you cutting the tip of the nozzle at 45 degrees. Ideally, the size of the opening should be close to the size of the bead you want to dispense.

I have used both the Soudal and Everbuild Caulk Once, I personally don't like either. My caulk of choice is the Everbuild 125. Toolstation used to sell it but now sell the Caulk Once (at a higher price). I found that both of the ones that you have tried used to "rip" at the edges when you try to smooth them. I currently pay about £1.20 per tube incl delivery if I buy a box of 12 tubes of 125 caulk
Yes that's the exact one! Il try everbuild 125 and my normal gun see if that's any better thankyou

Yes that's the exact one! Il try everbuild 125 and my normal gun see if that's any better thankyou

I only purchased the Powerflow gun after snapping an Easyflow gun whilst trying to use a really thick MS polymer. I was using two hands to pull the trigger and the spot weld joins failed. I have about 5 Easyflow guns, that was the only one ever that broke.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back