Caulking vs Filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any of you good guys tell me the difference between the two. When should they be used and are they more or less the same thing :)
Also I am glossing over varnished wood and finding it needs a few coats. Is there any good advice for white glossing and should I be undercoating first:?:
Muchos Grazias

Sponsored Links
Caulking and filler are both loose terms. Caulking generally means something that fills gaps and remains flexible. Filler means something that Fills things (like gaps).

So, for instance, Polyfiller, could be described as a filler, but not as caulking (cos it sets hard). Rope soaked in Tar could be described as caulking, but I've never heard it described as a filler. Silicone? you tell me.

If I were painting gloss over varnish, I'd be inclined to sand back to bare wood and use a primer. If I were you and you knew me though, I wouldn't listen to me. Better to wait for someone that knows about these things.

Filler(polyfiller etc) generally sets hard and can be sanded smooth, it is therefore best on walls or wood etc which are being painted or papered.

Caulk is used for flexible filling where you get movement or expansion, such as around windows, stair stringers,corners of skirtings etc. It is also overpaintable.

Silicon is for around sinks/ baths/tiles etc. It is waterproof/flexible but you can't paint it. (properly that is)

I agree with Tex about the varnish. To save time you can use water or acylic based primer/undercoat. This will dry quicker without the smell. However it is pretty naff for the top coats. Solvent based paints are more durable and have a nicer finish and will go over the above OK.

Sponsored Links
just one little thing that might help.
if you use the caulk then make sure it completley dry before painting it.
i tried doing it fast once and painting before it was dry any it didnt cover well.was like trying to paint over plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back