Cavitation....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a shower pump, plumbed it in, wired it up and all is well and working fine.
However, before I happily tile up the shower cubicle I have a nagging worry I need to sort out.

The shower mixer MI's say that if the pump has non-return valves I should remove the non-return valves from the mixer "to avoid cavitation".

I can't work out if the pump I have has got non-return valves or not, so while I try to work that out, I thought I'd ask on here to see if any of you good people can tell me :

1) What is cavitation?
2) Do I need to worry about it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Scrub this query - I found out from th e manufacturer that the pump doesn't have non-return valves.

See new topic for next installment.

with out going into detail cavitation is do with air.
No, it's nothing to do with air. It's to do with vapourisation of the fluid being pumped (in this case water) at the pump impeller due to a low static pressure combining with further pressure drop due to high pipework resistance (e.g. from NRVs).

with out going into detail cavitation is do with air.
No, it's nothing to do with air. It's to do with vapourisation of the fluid being pumped (in this case water) at the pump impeller due to a low static pressure combining with further pressure drop due to high pipework resistance (e.g. from NRVs).

Cavitation is a general term used to describe the behavior of voids or bubbles in a liquid. Cavitation is usually divided into two classes of behavior: inertial (or transient) cavitation and non-inertial cavitation. Inertial cavitation is the process where a void or bubble in a liquid rapidly collapses, producing a shock wave. Such cavitation often occurs in pumps, propellers, impellers, and in the vascular tissues of plants. Non-inertial cavitation is the process where a bubble in a fluid is forced to oscillate in size or shape due to some form of energy input, such as an acoustic field. Such cavitation is often employed in ultrasonic cleaning baths and can also be observed in pumps, propellers etc.

Congratulations on your cut and paste job from Wikipedia, hi-spec. It is normal to give an acknowledgement when you copy things from another author.

Unfortunately for you it says nothing to support your assertion that cavitation is to do with air. The voids or bubbles referred to are full of vapour (i.e. steam when water is being pumped), not air.

You only get it if the waters above about 60 degrees.

(makes your gums go pink, that)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back