Cavity blockwork Vs Timber frame Garden Room (1)

Is there an accepted building option which comprises of a single skin block/brick construction + insulation?
Accepted by whom, and for what reasons?

My concern is moisture migration both in and out of the building
That doesn't really tell us what the problem is in your mind
I feel like i'm missing an option which is neither cavity or timber construction which i could consider.
Insulated concrete formwork? Single skin with waterproof render, spray foam insulation inner and bonded plasterboard?

You're mooting two-of-three construction materials arranged with one as the inner and one as the outer, two of which are potentially flammable unsuitable outers; mathematically you haven't got any options left that you haven't considered unless you add more layers or materials

Note, i'd be more comfortable with building out of block
Another restriction? Sounds like you're getting analysis paralysis (over a fancy shed, by the way) - take solace in the fact that most houses these days are timber frame or block cavity; they're the cheapest, most effective, proven build systems for this country, and they're accepted by banks nationwide. If there was a build system out there that was as effective for half the price (or whatever advantage), it would be popular..
(Try getting a mortgage on an ICF or slipform building here..)

We don't really put up residential pre formed tin coated insulation boxes like they do in Canada for example, but these "exotic" build systems are available (mainly industrial here) if you want to experiment

Sponsored Links
Hi Mike,
Can you give me some more details on how that works please?
that about covers it.
the idea is that you can then hopefully prevent the building from turning into a sauna at suppertime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back