Cavity closure and insulation...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of questions around closing the cavity around a new door opening.

The wall was originally filled with "glued" poly bead retrofitted insulation, when the door was cut in the majority of these escaped. The cavity is about 70mm wide and only about 230mm deep as the opening is near a corner. Is it worth filling this with some other insulation, if so which type, is there something i can slide in from the opening?
20210514-115719.jpg

I then have standard cavity closers to close the cavity on the sides.

Next is the cavity opening at floor level which is complicated by some pre existing pipework. The DPC on the inner course of brick is approx 40mm below the screed level. To maintain access to the pipework would it be ok to make a 40mm thick timber panel that covers the pipes and goes right up to the back of the door frame? This would then be screwed down to the inner course of bricks and to the concrete slab below the screed after i chip off a bit more screed near the pipe with red clips.
20210514-115800.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well at the risk of ridicule i have fitted the stuff below into the cavity to replace the beads that fell out. Its mentions its designed for full cavity fill so seems to fit the bill and i installed it by compressing it between two bits of hard board and then sliding them out so went in quite easy.

https://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/products/dritherm-cavity-slab-37

Could do with a few pointers on my idea to close the floor level cavity and leave access for the pipes though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back