Insulated cavity closer at slab/DPC level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and hope everyone had a good Christmas.

We’ve got some open cavities at slab/DPC level at external doorways following screed rip out that will be replaced soon.

All posts that I have seen regarding closing this part of the cavity advise continues DPC between leaves filled with some concrete. Just wondering why insulated cavity closer is never recommended? Feels like it’s an opportunity to reduce a cold bridge?

Is there any reason to not use an insulated cavity closer here?!

Grateful for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Hi all and hope everyone had a good Christmas.

We’ve got some open cavities at slab/DPC level at external doorways following screed rip out that will be replaced soon.

All posts that I have seen regarding closing this part of the cavity advise continues DPC between leaves filled with some concrete. Just wondering why insulated cavity closer is never recommended? Feels like it’s an opportunity to reduce a cold bridge?

Is there any reason to not use an insulated cavity closer here?!

Grateful for any thoughts.
At external doorways, the floor slab material (and subsequent floor insulation beneath) has to pass into the reveal area of the opening, for obvious reasons. Where would this cav closer go and what would be the point?

At external doorways, the floor slab material (and subsequent floor insulation beneath) has to pass into the reveal area of the opening, for obvious reasons. Where would this cav closer go and what would be the point?
Thanks for the response.

Probably worth adding the context that the property is 1980s and the slab is uninsulated so I don't think the insulation element really comes into it but I may well be wrong!

To be honest, I'm probably just looking for a way to close the cavities that I'm confident with doing myself! I'd consider myself a very competent DIY'er but the one thing I absolutely hate is anything that needs mixing as it always gos awry - so that definitely includes this.

This is an example of one of the openings. The doors are being replaced so something needs to be done and there is the opportunity to do so.

IMG_6721.JPG

So a closer would sit between outer leaf and slab, PIR and new screed running over and up to the new doors.

Is there any reason that I couldn't use a cavity closer for this purpose?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back