Cavity Closer - Are these really necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are just about to put in a large door and window in extension and have a question regarding cavity closers. Its a 75mm cavity with full fill Dritherm 32 insulation.

I got some cavity closers from local builder's merchant. It basically looks crap - its a thin bit of polystyrene wedged inside two bits of plastic frame which keep falling apart. I can push back the insulation and stick it in anyway but reality is that the bit of polystyrene inside is actually a worse insulator than the dritherm slab I am pushing back.

So the question is what should I do? Stick the bit of plastic in with polystyrene knowing that I am doing the right thing? Leave çavity insulation in place and just board over?
Another option I am thinking of is putting in a length of 70mm celotex insulation with length of DPC against each wall. To me, that sounds a far better job than anything else but obviously I've never done it before so what do I know.

Sponsored Links
Another option I am thinking of is putting in a length of 70mm celotex insulation with length of DPC against each wall. To me, that sounds a far better job than anything else but obviously I've never done it before so what do I know.

Sounds good to me. Decent cavity closers are easy and quick to fit but they only perform the same purpose as what you're proposing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back